Monday, July 09, 2007

Another zinger from the guy who brought us HB 151 re: vouchers and separation of church and state -- from a resident of his own district!

From John Curry, July 9, 2007
Source: Writes Like She Talks blog:
Monday, July 09, 2007
Vouchers prop up Catholic education
I heard a quick snippet on WCPN's local news this morning and jotted a note, but I haven't had time to write about it.
So it's with great relief that I can say, "Everything he says."

I know that there are advantages for Jews who attend day schools if we blur the lines and say okay to vouchers. But I'm not and I've not been in favor of vouchers, regardless of that possible financial assistance for those who attend Jewish day schools (and all of my kids did attend Jewish day schools at least through Pre-K and one through kindergarten - it ain't cheap).

So I have this question for my state rep., Josh Mandel: I read here that you believe in the separation of church and state. But I read here that you support school vouchers (though the article deals primarily with the now vetoed special ed voucher proposal). Help us out and explain how that can be, especially in light of the AP's news today?

Now, I don't think you're alone in needing to reconcile those two positions, so I would want anyone who expounds these two positions to answer the same question. In fact, the fact that so many politicians will say both things is exactly why this question needs to be asked, not only of my state rep but of many others.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company