Friday, October 12, 2007

John Curry to Rep. Cliff Hite: Hey Cliff, I'm still waiting!

John Curry to Kathryn Williams, October 11, 2007
Subject: Re: Hey Cliff, I'm still waiting!
Dear Ms. Williams,
Thank you for contacting me concerning this issue. I personally met Cliff earlier this summer at the Auglaize County Fair. We spoke for about ten minutes....a time in which we discovered that we both were benefits recipients of the Ohio STRS and had concerns over the expensive medical insurance premiums that STRS charges their retirees and spouses as opposed to OPERS and several other state retirement systems. Also, at that meeting, I gave Cliff a "business card" indicating my personal email address, the address of Concerned Ohio Retired Educators, and the address of an educators blog (Kathie Bracy's blog) that I contribute articles to. In short, contact information was available to Cliff should he have wished to have a dialogue with me. If nothing else, a "reply" key could have been pushed as a reply to my email to Cliff and it would have ensured that he would have not reached "another" John Curry.
I would, if it is possible, appreciate hearing Representative Hite's reasons that his co-sponsored HB 151 Divestments Bill only applied to Ohio's public retirement systems defined benefits recipients and not banks, investment houses, and private individuals' investments in companies that purportedly do business in the country of Iran. This, in my mind, is not "spreading of the misery" of divesting as divesting is an added expense burden to any individual or any entity who is forced into it.
I was at an STRS meeting in Columbus earlier this summer at which I personally heard STRS's Chief Investments Officer, Stephen Mitchell, inform those in attendance that forced divestments entailed by HB 151 would cost the STRS an estimated 70-90 million dollars. A Husted brokered "deal" with the Executive Directors of Ohio's retirement systems did involve fewer companies than HB 151 seemed to call for but would still result in losses of millions of dollars to only targeted entities...Ohio retirement systems and no individuals or businesses. In this respect, this "deal" (in my opinion) is not a fair compromise as it still affects only a fraction of all Ohioans - retirees of Ohio's public pension systems. Maybe Cliff can address this issue as to why. On this same topic, I would like to hear Cliff's reply as to why the Husted brokered deal was not first placed before the five respective state retirement boards for their consideration and subsequent vote rather than the manner in which it was accomplished.
I end this letter by asking Rep. Hite to not personally call me as I (as well as many other of my fellow retirees) believe the "best government" is government conducted in the open and not accomplished in a one-on-one private discussion. Should Cliff choose to reply to my questions above, I ask that he reply in an email so that I can share it verbatim with thousands of my fellow STRS stakeholders so that they will also benefit from his thoughts on this issue first hand. Information "first hand" is much more accurate than my paraphrasing what Cliff would say to me in person and then redistributing it out to others who are also interested in Cliff's responses. I and my fellow retirees are eagerly awaiting to hear Cliff's responses to all the questions above. Thank you.
John Curry - an STRS stakeholder and resident of the 76th House District
From Kathryn Williams, October 11, 2007
Subject: RE: Hey Cliff, I'm still waiting!
Dear Mr. Curry,
This matter has been closed for quite some time but I’m sorry you feel you haven’t received a timely response. Representative Hite spoke at a number of retired teacher events in June and July and he thought you were in attendance. However, since you did not leave contact information in your email, he may have you mixed up with another John Curry.
HB 151 was referred to the Rules and Reference Committee in June. It is a matter no longer of concern to the General Assembly as they have reached an agreement with STRS and other boards that would have been affected. Divestment decisions will be determined by individual pension boards as they see fit. Please contact your retirement system if you have further questions. If you would like to speak to Representative Hite, he would be happy to call if you would be so kind to send us your phone number.
Sincerely,
Kate Schock-Williams
Legislative Aide to Representative Cliff Hite
Ohio House of Representatives, District 76
614.466.3819
From: John Curry [mailto:curryjo@watchtv.net]
Posted At: Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:38 AM
Posted To: District76 Conversation: Hey Cliff, I'm still waiting!
Subject: Hey Cliff, I'm still waiting!
Well, it's been over one month and MY Representative (Cliff Hite-76th Ohio House District) has been non-communicative with me concerning the correspondence below. It's a shame this guy is a retired educator and won't even communicate with a voter of his very own House District. You, your friends, and family might want to remember this the next time he runs for public office. John
From John Curry, August 27, 2007
Subject: NW Ohio (House District 76) and a co-sponsor of HB 151 IS A RETIRED TEACHER!!!!!!
Those of you (including me) in NW Ohio who live in Ohio House District might want to contact Rep. Cliff Hite re. his co-sponsorship of HB 151...this is especially critical since he IS A RETIRED TEACHER AND COACH!!!!!!!!! I already sent him a copy of my open letter to Mr. Husted.....my reply.... ( I'm STILL WAITING). I'm sure he got the message...it didn't come back. With a few additional notes from you... Cliff will get a real message...he might even begin to understand the concept that HB 151 is an unfair burden to place upon STRS stakeholders (INCLUDING HIS VERY OWN RETIREMENT SYSTEM)! Thanks, John
If you click on the red link below you will get a pop up email to send Cliff your sentiments re. 151.
Cliff Hite R district76@ohr.state.oh.us Findlay Retired teacher and coach and Cosponsor of HB 151
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company