Thursday, May 01, 2008

Ryan Holderman: A message to fellow retirees

From Ryan Holderman, April 30, 2008
Subject: Excluded from Economic Stimulus Program
Dear Fellow Retirees:
ORTA has indicated that we will not be receiving a Federal Economic Stimulus Check. "ORTA has received a number of calls and e-mails concerning the Federal Stimulus Program/Package. It appears that at this time those STRS benefits recipients who only have income from their STRS pension will not receive a check. In fact, those receiving as their only income, a public or private pension, will not receive a check." I have sent the letter copied below to both Senator Voinovich and Senator Brown. I encourage you to let your feelings be known about being excluded from this program.
Sincerely,
Ryan
-------
Dear Senator Voinovich:
I am a retired Ohio teacher. The Ohio Retired Teachers Association has indicated that, as a STRS benefit recipient, I will not be receiving an economic stimulus check. I do not understand why this is the case. I pay taxes on my retirement benefit and paid taxes on my income before I retired. Retirees certainly could use the economic stimulus dollars as a hedge against the ever increasing threat to survival that living on a fixed income presents.
Would you please explain the logic behind this ruling and what role you played in the implementation of this legislation.
If I am excluded from receiving a stimulus check, I feel that I should also be excluded from having to pay taxes on my retirement benefit!
Sincerely,
Ryan L. Holderman
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company