Friday, March 27, 2009

Ralph Lloyd to STRS Board re: salaries and bonuses

From Ralph Lloyd, March 27, 2009
Subject:
Newsletter from STRS Ohio for March
I am glad to see that the Board decided to resolve the PBI issue but a real solution should be no PBIs. Most of the people who contribute money to the retirement fund (teachers and administrators) do not get any bonuses for graduating students who become doctors, nurses, teachers themselves and other positions that require good grades in academic classes.
I am not happy to see the people who you call associates, receiving salaries that range from $60,500 to $270,000 with an average of $144,687.71, when the people who paid in the money they get paid out of, didn't get that kind of money.
My daughter is a middle school teacher in History, for 17 years, with a Masters-plus degree and only receives $48,650/year. When I taught Algebra and Geometry in High School I had a Masters degree in Mathematics and received $32,000 in my last three years.
I see no reason to pay these "associates" these HIGH wages. Surely there is an abundance of people with the same qualifications who would be willing to work for less, just because it is a job. These are the ones who worked for the failed banks and other financial institutions.
Ralph L Lloyd
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company