Monday, April 20, 2009

Dennis Leone: A bold challenge to Pat Frost-Brooks, Bill Leibensperger and Tim Myers

Think they're up to it?
From Dennis Leone, April 20, 2009
I remember several things very, very clearly about the statewide communication by OEA President Gary Allen in the summer of 2003. (It advised OEA members to contact Bill Leibensperger if they had further questions.) Allen described my 2003 findings of STRS board/staff wasteful spending (and this is verbatim) as “misrepresentations,” as “destructive” and “written with unclear motive.” These things I will never forget. He also wrote in this statewide email of how OEA supported Herb Dyer and the big spender STRS board members of that time period (six of whom – Jack Chapman, Hazel Sidaway, Eugene Norris, Debra Scott, Michael Billirakis, and Joe Endry – all were later convicted in court of ethics violations, along with Herb Dyer himself). Allen wrote this during the summer of 2003, after my 13-page report came out in May of that year. In the recent 2009 statewide email, OEA is now calling me a “dissident board member.” While I was the only board member who originally pushed for the suspension of bonus checks – which OEA now says it supports – OEA-backed board members Ramser, Meuser, and Myers did NOT vote in support of the bonus suspension. OEA writes that it is proud of these three STRS board members – but strangely did not say it is proud of STRS board member Tai Hayden, who also is an OEA member. Was this because she voted in favor of what I proposed, which was the bonus suspension? OEA has sunk to a new low, and apparently is not even aware that its own board members at STRS (except Tai Hayden) are voting against what OEA says it supports.
I would love to have the opportunity to debate the current STRS issues in a public forum with Patricia Frost-Brooks and Bill Leibensperger sitting across the table. Is there anyone out there who could arrange such a thing? OEA can pick the date, the time, and location. I will be there. Board member Tim Myers says the teachers he has spoken to in his district – Elida Local Schools – are NOT opposed to the current bonus checks. I’d love to have the opportunity to address them as well. Betcha Myers isn’t willing to set it up. I recall once asking for an audience with the Dublin City School District teachers after the Dublin teacher union president Dawn Leibensperger (does that name sound familiar?) gave her opinion of my 2003 report to the teachers there. My “equal time” request, of course, was denied by Mrs. Leibensperger. In fact, she expressed her distaste that I even asked for it.
There are emails, letters, and tapes that verify everything I have said above.
Dennis Leone
STRS Retiree Board Member
April 20, 2009

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company