Saturday, May 02, 2009

Charlie Seipelt re: Keep Your Hands Off My COLA

From John Curry, May 2, 2009
I agree, Charlie. The last Board meeting contained cuts for retirees' healthcare benefits only!!! At the April meeting they were eyeballing the possibility of cutting our COLA as a cost-saving measure!!!!!! The retirees take the hits and they take the bonuses! This has got Dennis steamed and I don't blame him. It should "steam" every retiree but, many retirees (like sheep) either don't care, don't want to know or don't want to speak out!
John
From Charlie Seipelt, May 2, 2009
Subject: Re: STRS, keep your hands off my COLA!
Wait a minute! I can't get over the fact that this issue is even being considered. It appears everyone is forgetting what STRS is supposed to be about.....the retirees. Am I missing something or is the exercise intended to help us or give credit to some the STRS staff's thinking that the only way to save our retirement system is to find a way to cut benefits to us and let the paid guns go wild with ways they can feather their nest prior to retiring with the benefits of PERS.
Maybe it would be more interesting to me if Mario and his group were to figure out how much we would save for the retirees if all of the bonus stuff, special health benefits beyond what we retirees get, parking costs, child care, and whatever other special benefits beyond the high salaries that is going out to the paid help was charted. If he and Steve Mitchell were to figure that one out I'm sure we would all be better off in the long run. I would guess that the numbers would be astronomical. Since our board is ALWAYS looking out for our welfare I would think this would be a project well worth investigating. Please advise me before I blow a gasket.
Charlie Seipelt
Milford, OH
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company