Monday, May 04, 2009

Dennis Leone responds to the rhetoric

From Dennis Leone, May 4, 2009
Subject: Thank You
Jerry – Thank you for writing what you did to Meuser. I am sick-to-death of the Meuser/Myers/Ramser/Cervantes/Chapman/Nehf/Mitchell rhetoric of the bonuses being justified because the investment staff is providing “value added” (which means that our returns for the first 9 months of FY 2009 were -32.1% in comparison to Wall Street average market loss of -32.2%).
The union block on the STRS Board simply do not want to hear that base salaries averaging $156,000 for the investment staff (and spectacular fringe benefits) certainly pays for the so-called “value added.” No, they say it justifies giant bonuses on top of that.
I am also tired of hearing the age-old argument that the bonuses also are justified because we’d be spending more money using external money managers instead of our own internal money managers. Everyone could make an argument that it would cost him/her more money if they did things in a different way.
I guess I should have told my school board that I deserved a bonus check because I never recommended that my district hire a 2nd assistant supt, and therefore I was “saving” my district money by never recommending such. Maybe my wife and I are “saving” money by not buying a Florida condo that we can’t afford anyway.
Dennis Leone

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company