Wednesday, July 08, 2009

From John Curry, July 8, 2009
Subject: Re: Dave...in reference to your letter below...
Dave,
Thank you for your reply....that now makes at least two of us who are wondering!
John
From Dave Speas, July 8, 2009
Subject: Re: Dave...in reference to your letter below...
I do not know John. I have been active locally with our representatives on a lot of issues as Springfield has a lot of negative problems all happening at once in education, jobs, loss of industry, and the loss of a $300,000 grant in the after school program I run for over 221 at-risk city students.
I left the ORTA organization because I did not agree with some of the operational procedures and my health was becoming at risk running around the state and dealing with STRS issues for years and then ORTA. I sent the email to the organization and am hoping they will move in a timely manner to help us. I am not sure it will happen.
Dave
From John Curry, July 8, 2009
Subject: Dave...in reference to your letter below...
....where is ORTA's public plea in reference to your plea below?
John
Dave Speas to Mike Nehf, July 8, 2009
Subject: COLA's
Dear Mr. Nehf,
My name is David Speas and I have been active in my local retiree organization as president, vice-president, program chair, and Cruise In chair. I have served as the Western Vice-President in ORTA, served on its board, and served on the STRS board as the governor's appointee. I know the problems facing the STRS system from being on the front lines. However, I am deeply saddened by the movement toward the possibility of taking away the COLA for retirees.
There are many retirees who left the profession years ago on a pension that puts them at poverty level. It is in the last 15 years that the salaries of teachers have outdistanced the cost of living. The COLA is based on their first year's retirement so it has never moved the retirees toward the actual cost of living but without it, most of us would be in deep trouble. The retirees took the biggest blow by losing their medical coverage stipend and spousal coverage. It has cost friends of mine over $10,000 a year out of their retirement package's original value.
Retirees have taken the biggest blows in the cost savings moves in the beginning of this century. It seems to me that the millions that could be saved by taking away COLAs that cushion the burden of retirees could be done by cutting back some of the active benefits at retirement. Actives would receive this benefit over their lifetime after retirement. They already are retiring at tens of thousands of dollars more than those who retired years ago.
I know everything is on the table, as was the case when I was there, but this part of all retirees package is all that keeps many from going under completely. All of us retirees may lose our medical benefit while those still working can continue to work or save for the day they retire to take care of their medical costs. We cannot do so and the loss of two benefits will be devastating to us older retirees.
I am aware of the cost of this piece and the stance of the OEA but certainly an honest look at who lost the most and who still has the chance to retire with 88% or tens of thousands more than the present retirees makes a fairness issue come to the forefront. Please make this a priority for all of us who have given years of service with no option of increasing our retirement benefits but only losing them.
I believe there is a great fairness issue here and also one of compassion. Please pass this on the current board.
Sincerely,
Dave Speas
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company