Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Message to Retirees From Dennis Leone

From Dennis Leone, February 24, 2010
I write this to explain a decision I made that I am told is either upsetting or confusing to some retirees. While I very much appreciated the surprise gift I was given weeks after I left the STRS Board, and while the last thing I’d want to do is come across disrespectful or rude to retirees who were trying to do something nice, I made the decision to return the gift in its entirety. I feel that my service as a board member was that of a public servant, and while the gift was extended after I left the STRS Board, it is possible that others could draw inappropriate conclusions that it was solicited or expected on my part due to positions I took while serving as a board member. All things considered, I believe the wiser and more prudent thing for me to do was to completely return it. I hope retirees will respect my decision. I also am hopeful that if you try to put yourself in my position, you’ll be able to better understand the decision I chose to make. We’ve all seen people who try to make something out of nothing. I wish for retirees to know that I very much appreciated your friendly gesture after I left the STRS Board. Thank you.
Dennis Leone
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company