Friday, April 30, 2010

Donna Seaman: ORTA has let us down and does not deserve my support

From Donna Seaman, April 30 2010

ORTA
Attn: Ann Hanning

I have received a notification to renew my ORTA membership. I have decided NOT to renew again because of ORTA's apparent unwillingness to take on issues vital to retirees such as:
  • STRS board's continuation of bonuses/performance based incentives for investment personnel. This policy must be eliminated totally! ORTA has never spoken out about this important issue!
  • The reinstatement of the 13th check has never been addressed by ORTA.
  • The COLA proposed reduction has never been challenged by ORTA.
  • The new Aetna Advantage health coverage was not discussed by ORTA.
If and when ORTA decides to become active and involved in STRS board discussions on these and other issues, I will reconsider my decision. Until then, I believe ORTA has not met its responsibility as an advocate for Ohio's retired teachers. ORTA has let me and other retirees down and you do not deserve my support.
Sincerely,
Donna Seaman
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company