Monday, April 12, 2010

'Duke' Snider to Tim Myers: I hope we can count on you to do the right thing


From Kenneth "Duke" Snider, April 12, 2010
Subject: thought
Mr. Tim Myers, My wife and I have been attending STRS meetings since about 2002. We have seen all types of actions going on including board members (indicted etc.). It would appear to me that the number one priority would be retirees.
I feel the top priority is STRS employees. You might respond by asking "Why," to which I would answer by saying retirees are the ONLY ones who have had any elimination of a benefit such as the 13th check. Yes, STRS employees have supposedly had a stop placed on bonuses UNTIL there is a turn around.
There was no such compromise with the 13th check or what you (STRS board) recommended about reducing the COLA. You didn't even consider in the recommendation about current retirees. It was a flat out elimination of 1 percent, and not even considering reinstating it if things improved.
I have read other recommendations by retirement systems, and it appears they seem to want to take care of their current retirees. In fact one system recommended reinstating the one percent if things improved. Now if I have read or heard any information that is incorrect, I would appreciate being corrected.
I had a person say to me the COLA should be reduced, because the cost of living isn't that high. My response was "Where do you buy your gas and groceries?" The COLA is SIMPLE interest and not compound interest. Again, it appears to me, the finger seems to be pointed at retirees. I would imagine that retirees would not say much if their retirement check would be as much as STRS employees.
Another thought, why don't STRS employees contribute to STRS instead of PERS? STRS building including parking garage, etc is a class act. It appears no expense was spared. Now some people will say that it's a drop in the bucket, but I'm just a country boy and I think how a person spends other peoples' money regardless of how little is spent, indicates how money is spent on big decisions and taking chances.
I keep wondering if certain people are still upset with retirees because of indictments etc in the past which Dr. Dennis Leone spearheaded? Thank God we had Dennis and John Lazares. How can anyone criticize either for what they have done? Both are icons in the eyes of retirees, but I feel we are being punished because of what they did for us.
I am a school board member, and if I ever thought someone was doing something wrong, I could not sit and let it happen. If STRS employees ever have their bonuses reinstated, then the retirees should have their 13th check reinstated. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
There are other issues which I haven't mentioned, such as healthcare etc. I don't want to take all your time. I have one more thought, and it's only mine. I firmly believe if STRS asked retirees to give up one or two percent of their COLA for one year and have it reinstated back to three percent, I believe many would be agreeable. Now, I might be wrong, but I don't think so. I hope we retirees can depend on your integrity, honesty, and intelligence to do the right thing.
Kenneth "Duke" Snider
Sardinia, Ohio
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company