Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Retiree to STRS Board re: COLA

Carol Janes to STRS Board, March 28, 2012
Subject: COLA

I read the March newsletter with great interest.


As I understand it STRS is making no provision to protect those of us who are older retirees and have the lowest incomes...and if we are still under 65 we have much higher health care costs...to say nothing of the cost of living.


Those teachers who have retired recently have higher salaries and will retire with better pensions. Some have taken advantage of the 35 yr 88% incentive which has played a role in "bleeding" the system dry.


I see that some states are protecting those who cannot change their economic situation. I am sure I am not alone in not being able to get a job. I am 63, live in a small town and have knee and shoulder problems which keep me from stocking shelves at Wal-Mart...otherwise I would do it.


It is true that active teachers are being asked to make great sacrifices, but those who are young have time to make changes. Those who have retired recently or are about to retire have larger pensions. It is those of us over 60 who are in trouble.


Carol Janes
Middlefield, OH
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company