Sunday, April 15, 2012

A letter from a fellow retiree that really hits the nail on the head!

From John Curry, April 15, 2012
I just received this letter in my email and felt that I have to share it with you. This lady really can express the true feeling of helplessness among fellow STRS retirees. Please pay particular attention to the 3rd paragraph...it speaks volumes about many of those among us who "got theirs and the hell with anybody else!"
John
John,
A friend of mine just retired last year on the 35 yr 88% plan...she is doing quite well. she belongs to the local ORTA chapter and their meetings are all about lunch and speakers...like how to attract birds to your yard.
Last night I got a message from her not to forward on any more messages about STRS and our COLA and pension changes as it is just too "overwhelming" for her.
Let's blame this on the shot of raspberry vodka I drank beforehand but I wrote her a note telling her that she has earned her retirement and I hope she enjoys it, that eventually the cost of living will affect her, too. And that one of the huge problems that we have as retirees is that those who have much are not interested in fighting for those who have little. If we were united we could be a powerful group and put some political pressure on this committee. Even STRS.
I have two friends who are committed to writing letters both to politicians and to STRS...I know a lot more retirees than that....as long as they are comfortable now they do not seem to be concerned. I think STRS knows this, the Republican committee knows this, and so they will do what they want with those who have the least. We have no champion. It feels kind of hopeless if retirees will not step up and fight.
Signed.........XXXXX
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company