Sunday, July 15, 2012

A retired administrator responds to Dorothy Pelanda; all retirees need to do the same!

To: district83@ohr.state.oh.us
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012
Subject: Honorable Dorothy Pelanda
Dear Representative Pelanda,
What a refreshing notice from you that you are interested in feedback regarding the proposed revision of the State Teacher Retirement System. My father started paying into STRS in 1932. I started paying into the system in 1958. Our daughter started paying into the system in 1971. I am a retired school administrator with 31 years of active employment and 23 years of retirement. I believe this gives me experience to speak about the issues. I will use outline format that will be easier for you and for me.
1. The Ohio Education Association controls the direction of the STRS Board.
2. The Ohio Education Association is interested in the actives since they pay for the staff with their monthly dues.
3. You should not give them additional power as the ORSC Report suggested. They will keep their 88% forever and eliminate the COLA’S for all of us that have been retired for many years.
4. The 88% should be eliminated quickly. Perhaps a 3 year window. All pensions should be based on the 2.1% that the older retirees received “and still receive”.
5. The contribution rate for actives should be raised from 10% to 14% in 2 steps, effective Jan. 1st, 2013. This is an easy change that does not require advanced notice.
6. There needs to be a sufficient stream of money to provide health care. The current plan is a disaster. New retirees with a spouse are paying around $1100 a month. This is not realistic.
7. I can live on my retirement, savings, and minimal Social Security. Many of my retired friends can NOT live on their low pension. Yet, these are the same people that will not receive a COLA for 1 year and be reduced to 2% for every other year. This does not make sense when the actives, working on a much higher salary, and retired at 88% live the good life.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance. Don't believe everything that OEA is telling the legislature. It is simply not all true.
Best Wishes,
xxx
xxx, Ohio
Cell xxx Home xxx
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company