Thursday, May 16, 2019

Patricia Pedro Carmean to STRS Board: Restore our COLA NOW!

Patricia Pedro Carmean's speech to STRS Board
May 16, 2019 
I am Patricia Pedro Carmean; I am a retired teacher from Washington Local Schools located in Toledo, Ohio. I am also a former Washington Local School Board member. My husband, who is deceased, was a retired teacher and superintendent. He had 36 years in teaching. 
I chose to be here today to support my fellow educators. I had the opportunity to attend a naturalization ceremony this morning at Gibsonburg High School. I have attended many ceremonies, and every ceremony is like the first time I attended. Happy and grateful people, happy to be citizens of the United States. The league I belong to helps register these new citizens to be able to vote.
I was born a United States citizen. I believe I take my citizenship for granted until I speak with these new citizens about the oppression in their country and not having the right to vote. Truly unreal to me. Not being able to vote or have representatives' support to have my best interest in government. 
But I am here before this board, who are supposed to have my best interest. I don't feel I have your support or respect. I feel disrespected and angry. I trusted this board and the people working here to have my back. This has not happened. 
With "freezing" the COLA for possibly 30-35 years, I will be 96 years old, if I am still alive in 30 years. However, you still believe that it is right to give STRS employees raises and bonuses. II am not sure how you feel that this is ethical. 
I am asking that you restore our Cost of Living Adjustment NOW. 
Thank you.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company