Saturday, August 17, 2019

Suzanne Laird to STRS Board: Can you spell "breach of contract"?

Suzanne Laird's speech to STRS Board
August 15, 2019

My name is Suzanne Laird. I retired in June, 2013, with 30 years experience and have been denied my full COLA for the past 5 years.

Good Morning, members of MY Board, and welcome to a new school year! I'm sorry to inform you, but you've been retained due to inadequate AYP scores. What's AYP? Anyone? (Please don't ask Betsy DeVos for the correct answer.)

In the interest of No Board Member Left Behind, I'll help you with the answer:  AYP stands for Adequate Yearly Progress. 

Grade yourselves on this one: how well did you do last year? Did you really listen when educators took the time to speak to you about the impact of the increased number of years needed before retirement or the loss of the COLA after retirement?

I learned a lot from my students over 30 years; all we ask, every month, is that you humble yourselves and listen. 

There's always one bright star in every class: last year, we witnessed a glimmer of hope as one of you chose to question the data, question the budget, question the manipulation of facts. Let us hope that Board member's brave example sets the tone for the upcoming year.

Did you do your required reading over the summer? The one titled, United States District Court Class Action Lawsuit? I hope you took notes, because there's a big test coming…….

Can anyone here spell "breach of contract"?
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company