Tuesday, June 09, 2020

John Bos to STRS Board: Please remember that the system exists for retirees, and NOT FOR STRS ASSOCIATES.

John Bos' message to STRS Board
June 9, 2020
Good Afternoon STRS Board Members,
I am writing to you prior to the June, STRS Board meeting to discuss you vote for the 2021 Budget.   I retired in 1989 and worked until 2000 doing various jobs that I greatly enjoyed.  Most were not high paying, but allowed me to serve others and make a few extra dollars.  Yes, that did not do much to improve my social security, but it supplemented my STRS Retirement.  As you are all aware, the COLA was suspended, reinstated for 1 year, again suspended until consideration next summer.  I am now 83 years old and can no longer continue working.

During the past 31 years I have observed continual increases in the STRS associates wages.  To the best of my knowledge they have never been denied an increase in pay.   I also notice that the STATE OF OHIO is proposing MASSIVE CUTS in employee pay and benefits.  Governor Dewine has asked all Ohio State Departments to operate on a significant reduced budget.  As I write this email, these numbers are being reviewed by all departments.

STRS is not a direct Ohio Department, but it is certainly not in your best interest to grant ANY PAY INCREASE to associates while the STATE OF OHIO is being forced to make cuts that will affect everyone living within the state.  You frankly will develop significant public reaction, not only from the deprived retirees, but from the boards of education, other state agencies, and the general public.  Mr. Wade Steen, a representative of Governor Dewine expressed his opinion clearly during the May budget discussion.  Thank you Mr. Steen for representing the governor position accurately. 

Please also be aware that the state budget reductions will reduce the amount of revenue that the retirement system will receive from active teachers:  Fewer teachers means fewer dollars!  Please remember that the system exists for retirees, and NOT FOR STRS ASSOCIATES.

Thank you for considering my position.

John Bos
Elida, Ohio 
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company