Thursday, September 16, 2021

Martha McFerran Dahya's speech to the STRS Board September 16, 2021

From Martha McFerran Dahya

September 16, 2021  

You stole from me.
Worse than a missing wallet,
or an empty shelf where the TV used to be.
More devastating than a broken window,
or the car gone when you get back to the lot.
Multiply the punch-to-the-gut feeling
of your house vandalized,
your tools gone,
it all gone…
multiply that by millions.
While I was teaching at a hard school
raising scores,
encouraging kids one at a time,
testifying for an innocent student,
involving, listening, preparing…
You stole from me.
While I was mothering,
showing her how to ride a bike,
teaching,
playing, swimming,
driving to church,
making lunch…
while I was sleeping,
gardening,
cleaning,
washing,
caring,
cooking…
You stole from me.
While I was learning,
writing,
reading,
preparing,
grading,
praying…
You did it sneaky,
private equity,
hedge funds,
no-bid contracts,
Infinity Q,
Enron,
Panda Power…
Terrible investments.
And you spent too much doing it,
over 200 staff making six figures…
Taj Mahal of office space.
You made me pay for mismanagement,
three more years teaching,
14% of my pay… highest in the United States,
work til you’re 60, 70, 90??
And no cost-of-living increase.
You stole from me
and used a Mercedes
for the get-away ride.
I called the cops.
They didn’t come.
I called the Attorney General,
nothing to be done.
I protested.
I voted for you.
No one was ever arrested.
It wasn’t a crime.
Where’s the law?
It’s not a felony?
Oh, that’s right,
you’re part of the larceny.
I lay awake and wonder,
“Where did the money go?”
to the stockbroker,
the analyst,
the chairman,
board members,
the CEO,
accountants,
the meals,
the expense accounts,
the buildings
the bonuses.
You stole from ME.
I know how you live,
suburbs,
car leases,
corner offices,
private schools,
Five Star lunches,
privilege.
All stolen from me.
I didn’t care about that for myself.
I didn’t teach for the money,
but to give back,
to earn my way,
expecting grace
after hard days.
But, there will be an endless pace.
I lay awake and count,
years worked,
years to live.
Will there be enough for me,
and my husband?
Will I have to count,
pennies,
quarters,
coupons,
cans of tuna…
Now that you stole from me.
Can I keep my promises,
a college education,
the trip of a lifetime,
my house?
Now that you stole from me.
And from others,
nurses,
neighbors,
social workers,
security…
my colleagues.
Have you ever
taught a kid?
Do you know how hard it is
to manage a class?
Done some honest work?
You pirating pack of thieves.
I trusted you with details,
paid you good money
to manage my future,
my vanishing years.
You really thought it out…
you genius outlaws.
Where were you 15 years ago?
Wasn’t it your job to pay attention?
Now you are rewarding yourselves
At the expense of us.
You were supposed to be, at least, responsible.
But, instead you’ve been playing God with our lives.
Offering only
ridiculous excuses.
You shameless actuarial bandits.
You stole from us.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company