Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Robin Rayfield to STRS Board: I ask that you do your best and work to change the culture at STRS. The membership should be the highest priority, not the employees of the organization.

Robin Rayfield's remarks to STRS Board

May 16, 2024
Good morning. My name is Robin Rayfield, and I am a STRS retiree and the Executive Director of ORTA. 
As I reflect on my nearly 7 years of advocacy for STRS members, I have been critical of many decisions and actions of this board. I am proud of the advocacy of ORTA members and the thousands of individual members that voted overwhelmingly for changes to this board.
I also understand that none of the members that ORTA endorsed over the last several elections have the financial wherewithal to restore promised benefits and make retirees and active contributors whole. STRS members are encouraged to know that changes to our pension system are possible. The members of STRS stand with those elected members that will support transparency and investment strategies that rely less upon high cost, high risk active investments and alternative investments. 
As you consider the proposed budget submitted by STRS management and the PBI policy the I trust that each of you will recognize that change is difficult and often painful for those that are negatively impacted by change. Just remember, retirees suffered through a severe reduction of benefits that were promised and guaranteed by Ohio law, and active contributors suffered through changes that caused them to pay more, work longer, and collect much less than they were promised. 
I ask that you do your best and work to change the culture at STRS. The membership should be the highest priority, not the employees of the organization.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company