Sunday, October 23, 2005

Another example of hospitals billing YOU instead of the insurance company


From Molly Janczyk
Saturday, October 22, 2005
Subject: Hospital Bills

It appears the hospital, Mt Carmel, that treated my mother is trying to get more money from me. She has died. They sent me a bill for $11,308 stating due upon receipt NOW. Their staff will help me make payments they state.

I called and left the message I had indeed rec'd a bill trying to address a period of time already paid for...............they took that period and rebilled it..........one was billed inpatient and one outpatient. I informed them it had been paid per Med. Mut. and I was NOT responsible for another payment after Medicare and Med Mut. paid them. If they had a problem they should contact Med Mutual and Medicare but Med Mut had already told me NOT to pay and I was NOT responsible.
This is an example of how folks get caught in thinking they owe beyond what they do. Mt Carmel was in network for my mother and they must except what Medicare and Med Mut.'s Usual customary Rate (UCR).

My mother, now deceased, does not owe more than her deductible and max out of pockets THRU OPERS which is less than STRS.

Many folks fall for this. NEVER PAY MORE THAN YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER TELLS YOU IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY which IS NEVER MORE THAN YOUR DEDUC ($500) AND $1500 OUT OF POCKET FOR STRS. Each person has a $2000 max for medical costs IN NETWORK. If you go out of network, you start a new deductible of $1000 I believe and $3000 out of pocket.

So always check that your medical providers are IN NETWORK OF "MED MUT PLUS", not just Med Mut. which has many plans.

Molly Janczyk

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company