Thursday, October 13, 2005

Too many public speakers at STRS Board meetings? A dialogue ensues with Chairman Brown

From: Dennis Leone
Subject: Re: Public participation
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:18:35 -0400

Bob -- if an 80-year-old retiree drives 3 1/2 hours from Ashtabula on the morning of October 20 to address the STRS Board, I don't want said person to be told that he/she cannot speak because of a policy we have or because someone else came in the building at 8:30 a.m. and signed up 20 speakers. I do not think it is reasonable for said person to leave his/her home at 4:30 a.m. or 5:00 a.m. so he/she can be first in line to sign up.

I agree with you that this topic -- and the matter of what constitutes free speech during the public participation portion of the meeting -- are great topics for the February retreat. I don't feel that it will be the end of the world if we allow, as we did in September, people to speak.....since we know this matter will be considered further. I really don't think this needs to become an unpleasant issue at the October 20 meeting. In fact, there are some people (Gary Allen and Bill Leibensperger) that I'd like to invite to the next meeting because I have some questions I'd like to ask them.

A new State Representative (Dan Bubp from Winchester) wrote me the other day and said he is planning on attending the November 17 STRS Board meeting. Should I tell him that he may not be able to address the Board if he wishes to?

Dennis Leone


From: Molly Janczyk Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 6:21 PM

Subject: Brown gives ineffective response;CALL ON BOARD TO INTEREVENE on Public Speak

This is not an acceptable response seeking a fair and equitable solution for ALL. I feel this is an not a impartial decision and reflects bias. There are 4-5 board meetings before Feb retreat and it needs to be addressed now. I call on other board members for input. OEA is next door, has offered to nearly write speeches FOR membership and have many in and around Cols.! Retirees come from all over the state representing their RTA's and wish to address the board. I would assume OFT may wish to do so as well with 2 new board members. We need assured THAT ALL WILL BE GIVEN FAIR AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY!

AGAIN! I CALL UPON THE STRS ATTORNEY TO COMMENT AND ASK LEONE AND LAZARES AND CHAPMAN AND FLANAGAN TO SPEAK WITH HIM AND WITH CH BROWN.

We don't put off critical issues which interfere with public rights.

What an insensitive reponse to anyone wishing to speak BUT OEA ACTIVES!

Molly Janczyk


From: Robert Brown Subject: Public participation
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:41:00 -0400

Dear Molly,

I, too, was caught off-guard when I saw the speakers' sign-up list at the STRS board meeting in September. I decided at that time to make a one-time exception to our standing board policy on public participation.

The public participation policy is included when the board conducts its annual review of all its policies. This review will occur at the February retreat. Before then I expect that STRS members, STRS staff, STRS board members, and others with an interest in this will put forth their best well-thought-out arguments for their positions. Any legal opinions that the board's public participation rule does not pass constitutional muster can be considered as well by the board at the February retreat.

Sincerely yours,

Bob Brown

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company