Friday, December 02, 2005

Dennis Leone: For the record (ORTA)

From: Dennis Leone
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005
Subject: Re: Board minutes

For the record: What I have said to ORTA is that I would be happy to co-author an ORTA Quarterly column with Jeff Chapman as long as ORTA first steps up and fosters genuine collaboration among retirees. Given the things that ORTA has done in the past two years that caused friction, it is not as simple as ORTA saying it hopes the division of the past STRS election can be put in the past. The matter, in my mind, has little to do with whom ORTA has endorsed in past elections. There are more important things than that.
ORTA's desire to mend fences is the key. That's the common theme I've heard from the 49 RTAs I've addressed over the past 2 years. There are many ways that this could occur. Among other things, I have suggested that ORTA sponsor a collaboration reception to try to bring people together. That would be a good start.
If ORTA is not interested in fostering genuine collaboration, then life will go on -- and other retirees who ARE interested in collaboration (and worried about the future) are prepared to step up with new and direct communication ideas for retirees in all 88 counties. I learned this in a meeting with some retirees on Thursday in Mansfield. I am willing to be part of such new forms of communication to keep retirees informed about STRS issues and to mobilize action. Do I personally want or expect an apology from ORTA? No, I do not.
Dennis Leone
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company