Thursday, January 12, 2006

John Curry to Damon Asbury re: software for transcribing Board sessions into print for benefit of membership

From: John Curry
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:53 PM
Subject: latest tiff and recorded proceedings
Damon,
I thought I'd drop you a line to ask if anything has transpired concerning the software that you related (in the letter below) which would transcribe the spoken word into print. This concept would aid all actives and retirees, but it would really aid those with hearing impairments to know what has transpired at board meetings. I don't think that the implementation of this concept would be cost prohibitive. This would enable STRS to be even more communicative and would be an excellent addition to the STRS website should Board meeting minutes appear as a download. Thank you.
John
From: Damon Asbury
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005
Subject: RE: latest tiff and recorded proceedings

John:
I think you are right on this. Actually, the sessions are taped but they are typically not of sufficient quality for distribution purposes. They are used primarily for purposes of transcribing the minutes of the meetings. I learned recently of a software that makes the transcription from tape. I plan to learn more about how this works. Copies of minutes can be made available upon request.
Thanks for your suggestion -- and humor -- in a somewhat controversial matter.
Damon

From: John Curry
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005
To: Asbury, Damon
Cc: John Lazares; Dennis Leone
Subject: latest tiff and recorded proceedings
Damon, might this latest tiff over who said what and who did what re. the compensation study be a good reason for all the STRS meetings- healthcare, staff benefits, etc. (minus executive sessions) to be recorded or transcribed and made available to the retirees (and others) of STRS so that, even though we can't be there, we can hear or see what has transpired? I'd love to be able to see my system in action from afar even though I now have to work to afford affordable health care insurance. I could even do it on my "off days." Surely recordings or downloadable transcripts could be made available at little or no cost. If it's in print, I am able to copy and upload a page "in a matter of minutes" with even my outdated amateur equipment purchased at my friendly local Wally World. I'm sure one of our employees in the media department could arrange a format for this exchange of information and openness in government that we all desire. Heck, this issue wouldn't even require a commissioned study by an outside contractor!
John, a Proud CORE member
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company