Sunday, January 22, 2006

Lynne Bracy to Molly re: increased benefits, enlisting actives, Tom Hall

From: Molly Janczyk
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006
Subject: RE: a quickie
I did send some items out regarding the study as questions to the board and Damon, as did Barb Garwood. I include Hall and now Mark on may issues and feel we all can. I sent out their email addreses.
I think Hall speaks up when he views it wrong and will do so as a board member.
We get out word by sending info as far and wide as poss.
Other opinions?
From: Lynne Bracy
To: Molly Janczyk
Subject: a quickie
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006
Well, I guess we weren't so far off after all. It looks like the increased benefits for 30 yrs. ARE hurting the fund after all. I guess Meuser's sunny calculations were a fantasy. I hope he stops using them in presentations. Could we put Frederick and Hall on KBB's e-mailing list for things like this? Perhaps we already have. What will OEA say now? Perhaps they will blame the present board. Boy, would that get a reaction from RT's!! Wish we could get out to actives a reminder that it was an OEA dominated Board that did this.
The financial condition of the Board now looks like quicksand to me. God help us if there is any sustained downturn in the market. Actives NEED to know this stuff. How do we get it out to them? I see this as a real serious issue. We can't trust OEA to do it. I tried to enlist 8 people (former students and friends) to get signatures on petitions. Two responded and have done so. The others are in their own busy teaching world and have no clue how important these things are.
Marvin may weigh in later. He certainly has much to say this morning. By the way, he sat with Tom Hall all through the STRS Board meeting Thurs. afternoon. They had some conversation. Marvin sees him as a "straight shooter" and eager to learn all he can. As a former speech teacher, I respect Paul's concerns about his speaking abilities, but he isn't exactly going to be making speeches. He just needs to become knowledgeable and speak up at meetings and ASK QUESTIONS. I hope and believe that he will.
Lynne Bracy
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company