Friday, January 06, 2006

Molly Janczyk: STRS 2006

From: Molly Janczyk
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006
PM Subject: Change: STRS
I'd like to add that if I can't change with current tides and attempting to put a finger on the pulse of events now shaping then, I can't expect anyone else to do so. When I am wrong, then I need to rethink and adjust my attitude (my best friend's term: 'Attitude Adjustment' when we were off base-it can't be everyone else wrong and us right; if it presents that way, then WE need to adjust if our personal ethics are not involved).
I just never want to become what we accused some in STRS, OEA and ORTA of being: locked in the past and unable to change for the common good. If we expect them to move forward and by them I mean those few still lurking in past behaviors, we must act in kind with open minds accepting what is done right and as said before ever mindful of any attempt to NOT act in the memberships' best interests. When attacked, I certainly will respond as always. I am on constant alert.
______________________
From: Dennis Leone
Subject: Re: STRS Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:11:16 -0500
Very well written, Molly.
Dennis Leone
______________________

From: Molly Janczyk
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 1:47 PM Subject: 2006: STRS
FYI: My lack of response on many issues lately is for the following reasons:
My total focus is on the future at this point with 2 goals in mind:
1. Passing the legislation for increased contributions for employees and employers which STRS indicated it will begin writing. My thinking is to keep the high positive response rate from actives FOR this proposal gathered by STRS and HCA.
IS it late in coming? Absolutely! Does that change the fACT WE need IT TO SURVIVE? No! Without it, we will most likely be on catastrophic only coverage and be paying more out of our pockets.
Does this mean I agree with or wish to forget the past? NO! It means I am unwilling to do anything to detract from this goal and at this point putting out info we already have been made aware to some degree or generally know from past articles and research MAY harm this goal by influencing ACTIVES NOT to approve this proposal and begin writing legislators to vote it down. We KNOW OEA is rich. WE KNOW IT IS WRONG! WE KNOW BILLIRAKIS IS 'MILKING THE SYSTEM'.
But IF they help at this point to bring RETIREES RELIEF, I am willing to wait to hammer on it again until AFTER the proposal passes. I don't want to bite the hand that 'could' feed me at this time. We are well aware of the wrongs. I am interested in WHAT THEY DO TO MAKE RETIREES' LIVES BETTER NOW THAT THEY HAVE IGNORED US FOR DECADES!
I WILL NOT FORGET NOR FORGIVE BUT I ALSO AM NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO DETER FROM THIS LEGISLATION PASSING EVEN IF IT IS A SMALL LIKLIHOOD! I am EVER mindful and diligent about watching their every move and do not trust CENTRAL OEA to do anything not in their best interest. THIS IS IN THEIR BEST INTEREST!
I truly do not mean this towards any individual and know my perspective is not everyone's. Just mine any my reasons for being lower key at this time. There comes a time we all must act according to our beliefs and I feel this is in retirees' best interest. I FEEL-doesn't translate to anyone else and how they feel.
I feel the same with the 2 or 3 remaining DOWNTOWN ORTA officials. I am waiting to see if those who have advised me that they are close to moving in a collaborative manner are right. I have been told that our continuing onslaught deters that by some I believe know what is happening with these folks better than I. When any of us get our backs up and someone keeps at you, you are less likely to find a way to save face and make a move. DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT ON THESE 2 or 3 HOLDING THINGS UP? NO!
"Do I just want to forget and all get along?" I will NEVER forget nor forgive some of those who have exercised bad judgement and hope they are gone soon from this Board or Exec. Comm. BUT, do I want to do something that will prevent this effort to work together when the VAST majority wishes it on both sides? NO! CAN I PUT ASIDE SOME CHILDISH AND SELF SERVING ACTS for the bigger goal of getting things done for all retirees. I hope so. I tend to ignore those who overtly set out to get me AFTER I respond. But, that doesn't mean I should lay blame to all membership in such organizations-many or most of whom want what we want-BETTER HC! Again, I have been told by multiple sources inside ORTA that most of the top officials wishes to make a move of collaboration and many are actively working towards this. Should they ALL have done this loong ago? ABSOLUTELY! Will our daily hammering encourage this to occur? NO! It will probably dissuade it since it has been our method for 3 years. Sometimes we have to change tactics to get things done. Outcome is my goal. We can accomplish more with more numbers. Simple math.

We are not in the business of making news for its own end or serving our own needs. I have been guilty of airing my thoughts often and am doing so now. BUT, We are in the business of making things easier for retirees-all of them! Current and future.
2. Election 2006: That is my other goal: It is going to be difficult and we decide if we run one or 2 candidates on 1/19/06. It is a daunting task to get info to as many school districts as possible. I have begun that for Prof. Hall. I spend hours of many days on this and am going to be focused on it during early 2006. My personal goal was to help get Lazares and Leone on the board. Then I would walk away. But, it is always another issue and so it continues for many.
Many meet the daily needs of CORE with some going to Damon/CORE meetings, attending STRS CORE/BOARD Meetings, emailing, current info, or filling in wherever something needs done as with the Angelettis. In 2006, I personally wish for :
-legislation to be presented for increased contributions and accepted
-Prof. Hall and another informed and savvy membership oriented board member to be elected to the STRS board.
Maybe then, we can sit back a bit, NEVER again to be uniformed or less diligent in STRS policies and procedures but to have in place those who truly follow ORC:3307.15 with increased contributions as a dedicated stream for HC: In other words, to bring back some semblence of retirement for retirees. Of course, we will ALWAYS be there for support and to address any issue needed. We're all a bit tired from 3 constant years of addressing this and have no intent of not accomplishing goals attainable. The brass rings: Election 2006 and increased contributions are what I feel I have reserve for at this time.
Molly J.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company