Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tom Curtis reports on March 28 ORTA regional meeting in Canton

March 28, 2006
Hello Everyone,
Today, I attended the Canton ORTA Regional Meeting for Districts 9-11 at Glenmoor County Club in Canton, from 9:00 am-3:30 pm. I carried 6,000 B&W copies of Hall and Fredrick flyers with me.
On the name tag I made-up and brought with me, besides my name, I had CORE in big letters with Concerned Ohio Retired Educators in smaller letters below it. I was warmly greeted by most everyone I talked with today. I spoke with most all of the ORTA Leadership and many Presidents of Local RTA's. Some I knew from last year, others I had only talked with by phone or email, and still others I had not been in contact with at all. At times, I sensed that a few local county people are still rather tentative about CORE, or possibly me in particular. (Dave Speas, you will be glad to know that I thought of your excellent role model, as I did the following.) I attempted to mend a few fences I knew were in need of such and found most to be willing to look forward. I heard no negative remarks about CORE today, but then I am hard of hearing in a crowded, noisy room, so CORE may have been criticized and I did not hear it.
Blin Scatterday willingly made an announcement that I had flyers out in the hallway for candidates that will be on the STRS ballot this year. Lou DiOrio mentioned my attendance at monthly board meetings, as he discussed the need for more education about the STRS and more involvement by the membership.
Don Bright asked me for 50 each of the flyers to distribute in his northwestern area. I handed out 3060 copies, the bulk of which were to those I had contacted prior to today and indicated I would have them today. I knew a few of the other presidents and asked if they would care to take some, which they did.
Nancy Boomhower saved a seat for me at the lunch. I sat between Ed Thomas, a retiree from Holmes Co. that I sat beside last year, when Dennis spoke in Holmes Co. It was nice to chat with him again. The lady to my right was Karen Butts, the newly elected District 6 Director from Licking Co. She is very friendly. She does not have email and I had never talked with her before. She knows of CORE and indicated that she had taken flyers from Sam Ridder already. I provided her with a copy of Dennis' 6-month report and she was thrilled to have it. She is a strong supporter of his efforts and I believe she is in support of CORE as well. CORE seems to have become more relevant to the retiree as time marched on. I do not mean any disrespect to ORTA when saying this.
Today marked the 2nd time I have reconnected with someone from my much younger life, by being involved with CORE/ORTA/STRS for the past 3-years. Today's revelation occurred somewhat similar to my 1st in 2003. As I was looking through the Winter ORTA Quarterly the past few evenings, a face among the photos of the new officers seemed to draw my attention, as I viewed the various pictures. I had been adding the names and information for each to my address book, so I looked at the pictures many times. This one face continued to stand out to me, but I did not know why. That person was sitting in the row in front of me, and 4-5 seats away from me today.
During break time, I went over and introduced myself and congratulated her on her election to the ORTA board. We talked for the remaining few minutes until the break was over. We identified that we came from the same hometown of Alliance. She then asked me if I knew Kathie Bracy. I said, Yes, I have known Kathie since she used to be my baby-sitter. [OK, I confess; I was in high school then, at Alliance High. Tom was a real little cutie, but ornery as the dickens! Glad to see he turned out well. KBB] I asked about her last name. I found that her in-laws were fairly good friends with my parents, many years ago. The break ended and I went and sat back down with Nancy Boomhower, the Medina RTA President Bill Dunham and other Medina officers.
Blin Scatterday began to introduce the next speakers, Terri Bierdeman and Mike Spino. The lady I had been talking with leaned back and asked me quietly, what year I had graduated. After I told her 1965, she said, "I was your senior English teacher at Alliance High School." Now I know why her face looked familiar to me. Now, how bizarre is that?
This makes the second time I have re-connected with a person from my much younger years, Kathie Bracy being the first at a meeting at the Angeletti's in I believe 2003. [Actually, 2004. KBB]
Take care,
Tom Curtis
CORE Advisory Committee Member
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company