Sunday, April 09, 2006

John Curry to Dennis Reardon and Gary Allen: Shirlee's experience at Bath High School


Mr. Reardon and Mr. Allen,

Distribution of STRS Board election campaign literature in a public school building is a legal right and should not be violated. According to Shirlee's letter below, her right to do distribute campaign literature was violated today.
John Curry

____________________

From Shirlee Zerkel, April 6, 2006
Subject: Experience at Bath High School


I live in Bath Township School District near Lima. I decided to go to the high school and campaign for Hall and Fredrick. I had taken petitions there as well-no problem in Feb. but this time was different.

I called the principal's office and was given permission to come. My first hour was fine. Some very interested. I tried to catch teachers over their lunch mods. I passed out flyers and also took in Leone's STRS Update. I then went to the women's lounge where about 8 teachers eat the last mod. I was told that I could not pass out literature because of a directive by OEA and she pointed to a message on the bulletin board from Gary Allen to President's of Locals.

She continues to tell me that I can not be in the building passing out literature for any other candidates but OEA ones. Only OEA views are allowed as we are an OEA school. I told her that I was an OEA member and an independent thinker. I also stated that members of STRS, active or retired, are entitled to hear about all candidates and issues not just what OEA wants them to hear. This is the same school system that Liz Ebbing had problems with in their middle school in Feb.

The message from Mr. Allen did state that we were to be allowed to pass literature out in the schools and it told the teachers to vote for OEA approved candidates.

I certainly am glad that we don't meet that treatment in every school. Boy, I thought this was America and free speech was allowed. But free speech is not allowed in an OEA stronghold. How like sheep some teachers are!

Shirlee
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company