Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dave Speas: Some insights for Jim Kimmel (and the rest of us)

James,
I have five emails in my possession that came from ORTA members saying that if we back Strickland they will leave ORTA as they are Republicans and we are to work for retirees issues and not for political parties. I have more emails asking that we stay the course on healthcare as if we do not, the political parties will use our supporting another party to oppose it. We are in a catch can situation.
I will work to elect Strickland but at this point of five years of labor to get legislators to even allow us in the door to raise the 14% to 16 1/2% and 10% to 12%. The greatest cry I have gotten in the last 13 visits I have made to ORTA chapters is please do something about healthcare and prescription drugs.
I would like to do as you wish but we are on a road started long ago and I can tell you some legislators have long memories and will try to punish us by working against the healthcare initiative.
I have talked to many older and younger retirees in the last five years as I have traveled over 6000 miles around the state. It is healthcare relief those of us who are the poorest and most vulnerable need. As a public school board member, I am backing those who publicly want changes in our education climate.
I hope you will understand that there are many voices out there crying for many things. I was one of them and I have decided to act to change as many as I can by being active and not just complaining. It is not an easy or enjoyable place to be at times but neither was losing so much by what happened to us with our healthcare.
I hope you will understand that it is important to me to continue to hear from you and I do take your opinions seriously. I will continue to work as hard as I can for all retirees in the state of Ohio.
Dave
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company