Friday, September 15, 2006

The speech Jim N. Reed didn't get to deliver

Jim N. Reed was unable to deliver his speech before the STRS Board on Thursday, 9/14/06, because The Public Speaks portion of the Board meeting was greatly delayed in starting and Jim was unable to stay. He did leave a copy and was assured all the Board members would receive copies.

Preface (for blog post)

As I am teaching during the A.M. and coaching the golf team in the Liberty Union-Thurston School District my attendance at the CORE-STRS meetings is limited. I plan to arrive for a few minutes of the post-lunch CORE meeting and then join my colleagues at "Public Speak."

In the Boardroom I have heard some passionate, eloquent pleas on behalf of an embattled generation of retirees. Unfortunately, many of these words have fallen on uncaring and out-of-touch ears. I look forward to hearing my fellow educators challenge the Board to do their duty as they were sworn to by ORC 3307.15.

When the "Public Speak" portion of the September 14 STRS P.M. meeting was delayed it made it impossible for me to remain.

When I read of the wisdom and courage of those who did speak and of the gutsy exchange offered in support of retirees by Dr. Leone and Mr. Lazares, it made me even prouder to be a member of CORE. I only wish I could have been an eyewitness. Sounds to me like it was worthy of a standing ovation!"

---------------

September 14, 2006

My name is Jim N. Reed and I am teaching in the public schools for the 42nd year, 33 years prior to retirement and in my 9th year as a part time "retired rehiree." As expected, in 1998 I began receiving STRS Ohio pension funds and health care subsidies for myself and my spouse. The promise had been kept.

Today, I find that promise broken. The 13th check and the spousal subsidy for healthcare insurance have disappeared, along with the trust and confidence I had in my retirement system.

Though I speak for myself today, I strongly suspect many of my fellow educators share my sentiments. Past and current decisions and indecisions of Board Members and Executive Directors have placed hundreds of thousands of active and retired teachers' careers and retirements in jeopardy.

The roll-call of mismanagement of our STRS contributions has been documented. Unfortunately there are some inside this room and many others in our profession who are not knowledgeable of the litany of fiduciary abuses.

However, there is a ray of enlightenment that has been kindled by Dennis Leone and John Lazares and a "Renaissance for Retirees" is flickering.

What exactly is it that the growing number of concerned active and retired educators expect from their STRS? Only that there is a genuine, authentic and good faith effort to decision-make and administer the legal and ethical spirit of Ohio Revised Code 3307.15.

Thank you for your attention.

Jim N. Reed

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company