Friday, October 27, 2006

Molly Janczyk and June Hughes: 'Legal' vs. 'Right'

From Molly Janczyk, October 27, 2006
Subject: Re: Legal vs Right: NOV STRS BOARD MEETING: THURS 11/16!
Because, June, it is legal. That's the reason I have seen for a couple of days.
The real answer for me is: I have found that people are much more easily influenced to go along than to stand up and do right - esp. if it is tolerated or allowed. The difference is: Lazares and Leone are made of different cloth. Just ask Gary Hollow. He investigated Leone, only, on expenses. He found nothing but accurate and correct receipts but then Damon had to release all the board's expenses and credit cards, etc. came to light Lazares and Leone knew nothing about.
Leone wanted to submit resolutions but was put off.
COME TO STRS ON NOV. 16! I hope this topic comes up and it best come up BEFORE MEMBERSHIP ON THURS. NOT MANIPULATED TO FRI SO THE BOARD CAN RETREAT FROM THE ISSUE TELLING THEMSELVES EXCUSES SUCH AS IT IS LEGAL! WE WANT TO HEAR TH IS DEBATE AND WANT THIS REWRITTEN!
NO HIDDEN COSTS TO MEMBERSHIP! WE WISH TRANSPARENTCY! ALL COSTS TO US AND MOST ESP THOSE OF BOARD MEMBERS USING OUR MONEY TO PAY FOR ITEMS THEY SHOULD BE PAYING FOR LEGAL OR NOT!
-----
From: June Hughes, October 27, 2006
Subject: Re: Legal vs Right
Molly, but think about the fact that no matter where ever anyone is they will want to eat. Why should we subsidize something that's a normal biological necessity. If the member pays for their own food at home then they should pay for their own food where ever they are - period. While I was still an active teacher and when ever I went to seminars, meetings etc out of town I had to pay for my own food because I would have eaten somewhere anyway! Stop this policy! When I was a buyer for a retail chain, I bought my own food in New York, and yes, my 'coach' plane ticket and hotel was paid by the company. They made the reservations, I showed up at the airport and made the cheapest decent hotel reservations I could find to help allay the food costs. I gave up ambience in a hotel for food.
June
-----
From Molly Janczyk, October 27, 2006
We have been hearing a lot about it was 'legal.'
Billirakis was legal due to Ohio loose definitions of a teacher when he milked the system by being called a teacher with Perry Local Schools where he never taught one day but had his retirement enhanced as a result, substitute pay was given to the Perry Local Schools though subs were never needed. Chapman did the same thing. Eugene Norris was touted to be an educator as well and hadn't been in a classroom for years. Legal. Was it right?
It was legal to go on lavish trips to exotic sites and have the best rooms and meals with our earnings. Some played golf vs going to those boring meetings. Was it rt.?
It was legal for membership to pay $800,000 in child care subsidy for STRS staff when we had to pay for our own and to subsidize the cafeteria for $88,000 annually. Cafeteria subsidy was dropped but we are still paying for childcare -- about $125,000, I believe, annually. We have been told and told it will be cost neutral SOMEDAY! Dates have come and gone and come and gone. Is it right?
It was legal to build a palace with art designed for it when membership lives modestly. Was it right?
How about family driving STRS cars opening us to legal suits taking down STRS should a fatal accident occur?
All the over benefiting of STRS staff was legal though over what other systems allowed such as $7000 for education annually vs. $3500 with OPERS which is now down further. STRS still allows $5000. Just one tiny example.
Paying staff legal fees is legal. We had to go with union legal staff or pay for our own. Why is right for them to get better than those they work for receive? How does that look to teachers who cannot pay attorneys?
Educators don't get calls or trips or $1000 flights to NY and Boston paid for them. We pay for our own and flights are $200-250 max but we make them in advance and go cheap coach not trying to get bumped up to first class by paying high coach fares as was done. Legal! Not right.
Will you pay for my computer, please? I use it for STRS business, primarily and had to update my equipment with my money to be able to do so. I am sure that must be legal!
Issue me a credit card! It surely must be legal cause I do so much STRS related spending. Just see my receipts! Pay me what I charge - not what you might allow me but what I allow and pay my credit card fees for me. The membership may be upset seeing this issue as a big red flag due to history but it is legal! So, never mind them.
Now, I want to come to Cols. for the next Board Meeting but I want to stay beyond Board business. I understand it is legal for an extra day or so. I want to relax and get away a bit after the meeting or I may attend another event. Do you think membership will mind since it is legal? Of course, they know I have to eat , right? We work hard and I feel this is fine since it is legal. I deserve it.
This may not look so good so 'splain' to membership one thing: It is legal. That's that.
When you have to explain to them whether it is right after a decade or so of misspending and bad decisions, don't bother. Just keep telling them it is legal.
We have all learned legal isn't always ethical or the right thing to do.
The question is and every board member should ask themselves: IS IT THE RIGHT THING TO DO!
Please try it. But don't validate wrong but saying it is legal. Rewrite these laws to make them right, ethically, and in accordance to ORC:3307.15: Are you acting SOLELY on behalf of membership when you do those things. Not justifying it but really acting on behalf of membership. If you wonder , just ask US! We'll be able to help with that. So, put away the books which are good for reference on issues, roll up your sleeves and ask yourself as though you were one of us: Am I doing this for membership in the eyes of membership? It may be legal but is it RIGHT!
Rewrite those rules to make them right.
Sincerely, Molly J.
-----
TO THE ENTIRE BOARD: For the future, I hope the entire board realizes how bad it looks to those of us harmed by the old board to have credit cards, overstays, extra meals, etc. To have done this, again, behind our backs, is harmful all over again. It just looks bad to have this secretly-something we felt was done! Please feel how we do. Please act transparently and totally public without trying to slip little things by like this. It only adds to mistrust no matter how large or small. Just looks bad and I, for one, cannot believe it was done.
Molly J.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company