Saturday, February 03, 2007

Jim N. Reed: Words of appreciation to Tai Hayden

Jim N. Reed to Tai Hayden, February 3, 2007
Subject: Retiree with An Appreciation for An Open Mind And Free Thinker
Dear Ms. Hayden,
Allow me to offer my appreciation for your refreshing free-thinking that came to light at the recent STRS retreat. My primary source for this hope is based on the high marks you received from my CORE friends who participated in the meetings. (Since retiring in 1998 after 33 years of being ignorant (self-taught, unfortunately) of how my retirement system was functioning and dysfunctioning, I have become engaged, along with many other retirees, in a much needed continuing ed course. Unfortunately, the literacy rate among many retirees is not yet passing and the failing rate of actives is atrocious.)
My gratitude is for any Board member who demonstrates the unwillingness to be a rubber stamp for former and current administrative bungling and peer pressure applied by misinformed, misguided, insensitive past and present colleagues.
Obviously, I support and encourage the campaign of Dr. Leone and Mr. Lazares to bring some respect and trust back to my retirement system. As I'm certain you have ascertained in your brief time on the Board, Dennis and John have frequently faced equal amounts of obstinacy and ignorance. Insensitivity to the real-life retiree and an arrogant disconnect have been too long a part of Board policy
As representatives and caretakers of lifetimes of public service and our families' financial security, we are terribly dependent on every decision you make, every one of our dollars you spend. We must be able to expect you and to trust you to treat our security like you would your family's. Too frequently, our expectations and trust have been failed.
That is why I thank you for simply not adding your voice to the status quo, especially when the current conditions at STRS retain some of the stench that many of us have had to live with since the Dyer regime. (My trust is that you and the other new Board members have perused Dr. Leone's award-winning 2003 research of STRS' own shameful records. I'm also certain you have learned of present Board members who have refused to read that same exposé and have, literally, bragged about not needing to know about their own heritage.)
I look forward, Ms. Hayden, to witnessing the continuing Renaissance at STRS and I am quite encouraged and hopeful that you will play a major role.
Thank you.
Jim N. Reed
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company