Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Kathie Bracy & Bill Leibensperger: More dialogue re: open communication

From Kathie Bracy, December 18, 2007
Subject: RE: In the spirit of open communication
Hello Bill --
Thank you for reading my blog. I figure the least I can do to help others share their thoughts is to provide a forum such as this. I don't expect people to agree with everything that's on there, but it's a good place for people to express their views, and we certainly have diversity in that respect. While I like to post articles, announcements, etc., my main focus is on presenting viewpoints.
I know what you mean about not being able to please everyone all the time; we can only do our best. You are sworn to take your direction from your members, as you say, just as the STRS Board is sworn to uphold the letter, law and intent of ORC 3307.15 in the best interests of the STRS membership. Unfortunately, they are doing things right now that run totally against their moral and legal obligation to us. They are definitely not taking their direction from the membership when they knowingly and deliberately make harmful decisions regarding the use of our money. One can only guess what is behind it all.
I have forwarded your message to the individual who wrote the piece I think you are referring to; perhaps you will get a response. By the way, I am still looking for a response to my question regarding which STRS Board motion(s) Ms. Frost-Brooks had in mind in her speech last Thursday; namely, the one(s) she believes "would or could undermine trust and confidence between the Board, Executive Director and Staff" and "are not in the best interest of the system, and, in fact, may be unnecessary and counterproductive." (her words).
Thank you.
Kathie Bracy
From Bill Leibensperger, December 18, 2007
Subject: RE: In the spirit of open communication
Good afternoon, Kathy,
I read your blog today and I want to thank you for the GPO/WEP article. That was good information in a format that makes a complex issue easy to understand.
I am also wondering who the "retiree" is that has bashed the OEA the last two days. I'm not really interested in entering a public written debate with the individual, but if I knew who it was I could call the person. Contrary to what some would say, I -- we as OEA leaders -- are deeply concerned about each of our members, and we do strive to make decisions that are inclusive.
Although no one can please every one all the time, we do try. There really is no other motivation to do this job that actually gets me up and out of bed every morning. I do try to understand the anger I see expressed by some contributors to your blog. I do. Although, I sometimes feel like there is nothing that I or Pat or Jim can do that would please some people. We take our direction from our members through the policies and processes they have approved. We are actually sworn to do that. Any assistance you could be in helping folks understand that would be most appreciated.
Although I don't always like everything I see on Kathy Bracy's Blog, I do read it (maybe not every day, but often) and obviously others do too. I do admire your dedication and hard work in keeping it relevant and fresh. I especially appreciate the information pieces like the one I alluded to in the beginning of this email. Let's keep trying to work effectively together.
Bill Leibensperger
Vice President
Ohio Education Association
614-227-3088

Labels: , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company