Monday, February 04, 2008

Duane Tron responds to the writer from STRS Ohio

From Duane Tron, February 4, 2008
Not a single retiree I know has ever questioned the value and hard work on the part of ALL associates serving at STRS. I have never witnessed a single incident where I felt that any STRS associate provided anything less than outstanding service to ALL retirees. Our dissatisfaction has been, and for me, is still about senior management at STRS and the OEA-controlled STRS Board.
Many like myself have been negatively affected by poor decision making on the part of a few and to the detriment of many. My views in no way reflect adversely on STRS associates. I know that the overwhelming majority of retirees feel the same as me. As an STRS associate put yourself in our place. I retired at a much lower rate in 1998. Then four years later I was informed that the spousal subsidy for health insurance was being done away with and we would be required to pay 100% of the cost of health insurance for our spouses ($10,600.00 for us). My wife and I have been married for 43 years; dropping health insurance for my wife is not even a consideration even though she told me to drop her.
My best years as a member of STRS were never even close to what many associates earn at STRS. As of January 1, 2008, I am paying in excess of $17,000.00 annually for health insurance, co-pays, deductibles, and prescription costs. This is taking away roughly one half of my annual compensation because of these unnecessary changes that were dumped on us by the OEA-controlled board; a board that lacks any vision and compassion for the people they represent. This board has undermined thousands of retirees and for no other reason than they lack the qualifications and skills to lead a multi-billion dollar business. Place yourself in my shoes and try and empathize with what thousands of us are now having to deal with.
None of this was brought about because of the STRS associates and your service to us. This wasn't caused by the rank and file working at STRS. My anger and disgust in no way has ever been directed at those serving us throughout STRS. My anger has been, and continues to be at those who have abused so many, and done so with little hesitation and no conscience. If there are associates who feel that we are targeting you please note that you are sadly misinformed and I am very sorry! Herb Dyer generated a great deal of ill will and bad feelings among retirees and none of it was ever directed at STRS associates. If the STRS executive director and a few STRS board members responded to the needs of retirees with the same compassion and level of conscience as STRS associates there wouldn't be any serious issues or concerns within the system for retirees and CORE wouldn't exist. Sadly this has not been the case!
Duane E. Tron
St. Paris, OH 43072

Labels: , , , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company