Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Tom Curtis re: Expressing appreciation to general STRS staff

Joyce Baldwin to Tom Curtis, February 5, 2008
Subject: RE: Board Retreat
Tom,
I can only speak for myself; I have always been treated with respect from CORE, and other outside member groups/organizations that attend the STRS Ohio Board meetings. I am thankful that you have heard nice things from other retirees; it lets me know that after 16 years I am still doing what I can to help active and retired members here at STRS Ohio.
I would suggest posting something on Kathie’s blog that would let the general staff know exactly how retirees feel about the good job they are doing on behalf of STRS Ohio Active and Retired Educators. As we all know, word travels fast and I am sure it would not take long.
Best regards,
Joyce
From Tom Curtis, February 5, 2008
Subject: RE: Board Retreat
Thank you Joyce,
As usual, you are always there to help when asked. You need to know just how much all of us retirees appreciate your willingness to provide us with whatever you are able to offer us. That has been consistent and mentioned time and again by all of those retirees that have come into contact with you. Kudos to you.
This brings me to a concern that has been brought to retirees attention. Kathie Bracy recently received an email, it is not from an associate, as stated, but from a close friend of STRS associates. What is your take on this? Is this for real? If so, what can we do to improve this situation?
Joyce, I do not know how frank you can be with me as your position obviously asks that you hold a great deal of discretion in what you say and do.
However, if the above email does in fact represent the true feeling of many general (normal) staff members, would you kindly offer some suggestions that might alleviate this problem?
Retirees do not desire the general staff to have any feelings that we are unhappy with the services they provide. To the contrary, I have been treated with the utmost respect by all general staff I have encountered during my retirement process and while being in the building the past five years.
Retirees are unhappy with upper management and various board members, both past and present. In my opinion, rightfully so. They have supported expenditures that were not in line with 3307.15. They accepted gifts from vendors that should not have been accepted, etc. etc. Further, they have all defended their right to such with no remuneration ever being levied for their improper handling of our funds. Of course, that has become common practice in the USA today.
What many retirees have lost since roughly 2000 has been taken away without the consideration of most general staff. That loss has been far more reaching in our day to day living environment then most general staff would ever realize.
Retirees cannot simply change employers or pension plans to bring about a more desirable outcome. If that were possible, many of us would have chosen to switch to the OPERS system in 2004, which I believe to this day, still subsidizes a family HC plan. The increase in HC costs I have had to realize since retirement in 1989 have taken away more then one third of my income. That has come about because of the failure of the board and upper management to meet the need of establishing a dedicated flow of income into the HCSF.
In closing, do retirees have the autonomy to reach the general staff by group email to voice our appreciation of their efforts?
Thank you for your response,
Thomas Curtis
From Joyce Baldwin, February 5, 2008
Subject: RE: Board Retreat
No problem, we'll mail the information.
From Tom Curtis, February 3, 2008
Subject: Board Retreat
Hello Joyce,
Good afternoon. It just occurred to me that I had forgotten to request the handouts, minutes and the CDs of the retreat. Would you kindly send me those materials when they are available?
Thank you,
Thomas Curtis
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company