Wednesday, June 25, 2008

George Doyle: A memorial tribute to Paul Boyer

Delivered June 9, 2008 at Paul Boyer's memorial service, Lima, Ohio
First of all, let me say that I am honored to be asked to give this eulogy for Paul. He was a great friend and mentor to me when I needed one the most. I shall never forget the times we shared in his apartment and lately at Lost Creek Care Center. Paul was an accomplished carpenter and enjoyed working with his hands. He carved a pitchfork out of a tree branch and made bookcases out of Cherry wood. Paul was very proud of his family and often spoke of his daughter, Cheryl, and his son, Richard. He was especially proud of his grandchildren and would often tell me stories of their experiences as kids of missionaries. He said that they were very good kids and unique in that they were well educated in the Gospel and purpose that God had for their lives and that he would never have to worry about how they turned out as adults.
One has often heard the statement that one's life is measured by the dash on a tombstone; however, that is not the case with Paul Boyer. Paul decided very early in life that God had plans for him that included more than just a dash on a tombstone. Paul was a very dear friend, as was his wife, Alice. When I became President of the Allen County Retired Teachers Association, Paul took me under his wing and helped me through one of the most difficult years of my life. Through his wisdom and guidance I was able to grow and learn how to be a President. I had never been President of anything but my dance club and believe me, this was quite different in all aspects.
One of the things I remember most is the day Paul called me and asked me to hook up his trailer to his truck and go with him to his shop on Feeman Avenue. I was very glad to do this for him because he had been such a mentor to me. I arrived at his house and I hooked up the trailer. We started to pull out and got onto the street when all of a sudden the trailer came loose. Paul did not panic. He simply stopped the truck, got out and said, "You must have forgotten to pull the latch down." We hitched the trailer and went on our way. When we arrived at his shop, I was amazed at all of the equipment he had stored in there. It took us about an hour, but we managed to get things arranged so that he could get things he had on the trailer in the shop.
Another thing I remember about Paul is that he was very determined. Once he made up his mind about something, you could not change it. He was determined to make a difference and force STRS to adhere to the Ohio Revised Code in order for retirees to have a better retirement. He often went to Columbus to speak before the STRS Board when he was hardly able to speak or walk. If he could not go, he simply got on his computer and let them know how he felt about what they were not doing. Paul was a great Christian man. We prayed together many times. I remember the last time that I prayed with him at Lost Creek. When I had finished, he looked up at me and said, "Thank you, George. I appreciate everything you are doing for me. It made me feel proud that I could give back to Paul such a little bit compared to what he gave to others. I would like to read just a few of the e-mails I received from Paul's friends to let you know how much they will miss his dedication and spirit.
-----
From Molly Janczyk
Paul was integral to CORE and named as CORE of CORE by Dr. Dennis Leone. His indomitable will and spirit overcame his physical impairments bringing him to CORE meetings and speaking to the STRS Board despite the distance and challenges. Paul was a loyal friend providing invaluable input and assistance whenever asked or needed. He will be deeply missed by his CORE friends who always were welcomed by him with warmth, respect and enthusiasm for our mission and for our friendships established as a result. Paul was a comrade and friend in the truest sense of the word never satisfied by hearsay and always going to the source for direct answers giving all the chance to be heard and considered.
From Dr. Dennis Leone
I will miss Paul. He was one of the core of CORE, a person who was unwavering of his support of retirees and the enforcement of ORC 3307.15. Using lingo pertaining to the USA and Iraq, I often publicly referred to Paul Boyer as a "Weapon of Mass Information."
From John Bos
Paul read, listened, pondered and then REACTED regarding his concerns for STRS. Paul was not able to "Steer the Ship", but he certainly got the attention of the captain and moved the ship out of the hurricane and pointed it toward the harbor. Without Paul, I doubt if many of the issues at STRS would have been known in Lima and maybe even Ohio. Paul was an honorable and honest man that was interested in assisting others. He marched to his own beat, but always knew where the others were located that were marching with him.

From Dennis Shreefer
Paul and I were poles apart, politically, but I grew to respect and admire his dedication, intelligence and tenacity on the part of his fellow teachers. He was firm, but eloquent & civil and at all times fearless. And you always knew he cared. We had a delightful relationship even though from time to time he would tell local media I was full of beans. Our mutual friendship came from the fact we both knew that the other would be totally supportive on issues that truly mattered. Paul was a neat guy who lived a life that mattered. And Alice was a perfect match.
From Liz Ebbing
I hope you will mention how important Paul was to the Allen County Retired Teachers Association and to CORE. When he wrote anything to me or any STRS Board member he always closed with CORE of the CORE. The CORE will be missed, but we will continue the work Paul started and worked so hard to complete.
From Jim Reed
Though I did not know Paul as well as many of the charter members of CORE, I learned quickly of the respect and admiration that he commanded as an advocate for retired educators. I especially honor Paul's memory because it was obvious that most retirees of his generation were unlikely to welcome confrontation at their stage of life. After all, what changes in STRS could come about quickly enough to have any positive effect for Paul and his family? It was obvious that Paul was primarily concerned about his profession and younger educators, perhaps even those that had not yet stepped a foot in the classroom. His vision was beyond the "Now." It took great loyalty and dedication to his profession to participate to the extent of sacrifice that he offered others. Paul was a beacon to those unwilling to accept "business as usual" in their retirement system. His model will be used by those who attempt to measure up to his legacy.

From Karen Phipps
He was intense and eager to work for the association and the betterment of retired teacher benefits. He was willing to travel to Columbus to keep us updated and give a voice to the Allen County Retired Teachers Association letting them know were are interested, active, and concerned about their decisions and use of power concerning our rights and benefits. He could be annoying at times as he would be so intense in his beliefs but he was factual and shared his knowledge to help others. Paul was loyal and true to his profession.
From Bruce Hodges
I worked for many years with Paul Boyer as a professional educator in the Wapakoneta City School System. Paul was our shop teacher in the old Blume building and he was a guidance counselor for the high school for many years until he left the Wapakoneta System. Paul was always known as a fighter who worked hard to improve the lot of both teachers and students in Wapakoneta and the State of Ohio. In Wapakoneta he was known for being outspoken to expose the injustices found in the school system. He spent many hours working with fellow educators in the Wapakoneta Education Association serving locally on various committees. He traveled to Columbus regularly to participate in the efforts of the Ohio Education Association to improve education throughout the State. Paul was a passionate crusader for justice who shared openly his practice of Christianity in the many issues he encountered. He was a mentor for young teachers and a caring educator for the students he encountered in his career. There are educators who turned to him for advice even into his retirement years. He has most recently even a valiant crusader to improve the basic needs of retired teachers. He has traveled many miles on behalf of others. It is right that we honor this giving man upon this occasion as we celebrate his life.
-----
As you can see from these testimonials, Paul was very well respected among educators. He gave many hours of his time and much of his money in support of making things better for retired teachers. His legacy will long live on in the hearts and minds of those of us who knew him best. I know that God will welcome him with open arms and say, "Well done thou good and faithful servant, enter ye into the Kingdom of Heaven." Paul's work is not finished, he has left each of us with the challenge to serve God with all our hearts, minds, and souls and to work for the betterment of humanity, no matter what career we chose. I shall miss his smile, his firm comments when I goofed up, and his wonderful advice concerning our retired teachers. Rest well, good friend until we meet again.

George Doyle
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company