Friday, August 15, 2008

Shirlee Zerkel's speech to STRS Board, August 14, 2008

August 14, 2008
Good afternoon STRS Board Staff and Members:
I am Shirlee Zerkel of Lima, OH. I have 27 years of service and retired in 2002. First as a representative of the Allen County Retired Teachers, I would like to welcome Mr. Nehf to the directorship of STRS. We are pleased to read in the Newsletter that you want to develop initiatives that will allow continued health care for retirees. We are also pleased that you intend to implement operating improvements and efficiencies for cost control. We welcome your willingness to communicate with the membership.
Next, the Allen County teachers and I would like to thank John Lazares for bringing much needed reform to STRS. We are appreciative of the fact that ORC 3307.15 was foremost in your mind as you asked questions and made Board decisions. Thank you for being open and honest in your communication with the membership. We wish you well in your retirement.
In this next issue, I speak for myself. These are my own opinions and are also the opinions of some other members with whom I have shared my views. I want to thank the STRS staff for finally implementing a program that co-ordinates with Medicare B for drugs and supplies. I spoke to the Board and staff concerning this issue in September 2004. Finally, 4 years later, this issue being addressed. I spoke then that many retail pharmacies were coordinating with Medicare B and that our retirees should have the same benefits, but I was told by the Benefits Department for well over a year that it was not possible. I was also told that the staff would work on it. Three years later, we now have a plan. The new plan so far has the following problem. We can not get a list of covered drugs and supplies for that zero co-pay plan.
The problem is that a long letter with both Express Scripts and STRS's was received in July by all retirees who are over 65. It explained the new plan. In two places the letter states that we can call the toll free number at Express Scripts for a list of eligible drugs/supplies. Several of us have called for the list. My first call to Express Scripts was July 29; I spoke to Kim who told me a list would be sent and I should receive it in 7 to 10 days. I received no list.
Early August, after speaking with another retiree who requested the same list and she was told that no list was available, I called again. I also was told that no list existed. Yesterday, August 13, I called the toll free number several times. First, Nicole told me that a new mailing went out a few days ago with the complete list both retail and mail order. I called 5 more times yesterday and received 5 answers-all differing with each other in some aspect or other. Some told me the list had been sent, some said there was no list and that they would check by individual prescription, others told they could order that list and have it sent to me. Why can't we get the list that the letter stated was available to us? We retirees need that list so we can get the correct prescription when we go to our doctors. STRS Benefits Department was contacted by some other retirees and still no answers! When will that list be available so that we, the retirees, can be careful consumers of our health care dollars.
Finally, I want to say welcome to our new Board member, Tim Myers. You have a big job ahead of you and I encourage you to keep the ORC 3307.15 foremost in your mind in all Board decisions. I also challenge you to be a communicative and open with the membership as John Lazares has been.
Thank you for your time,
Shirlee Zerkel
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company