Monday, November 10, 2008

Leonard Myers re: Medicare for future retirees

From Molly Janczyk, November 9, 2008
Subject: RE: Medicare for Future Retirees
I will forward this to the CORE Pres., VP and Trustees for you. Thanks, Leonard.
WHY DO YOU ONLY HAVE 63 DAYS TO ENROLL? Is that age related????
From Leonard Myers, November 9, 2008
Subject: Medicare for Future Retirees
Hi Molly, At your monthly meetings of CORE, perhaps you could investigate the possibility of the present teachers paying in to Medicare both parts A and B.
California has no health system for their retired teachers. But two acquaintances say they paid in to Medicare while teaching, even though their retirement system is similar to ours, and are now retired and have Medicare.
I am under both A and B because I had 16 quarters from working while in college and the military. I then took a part-time job in 1997 and earned enough credits to get part A when I was age 67. So now my STRS insurance is my supplemental. If H.B. 315 does not pass and STRS runs out of money, I would need to buy a supplemental policy.
I called AARP and they said that if STRS no longer pays my supplemental, I can buy a policy for about $186 to $202 per month. However, I must sign up almost immediately, I have only 63 days to sign up and still be covered without worrying about existing medical conditions. The number for members to call is 1-800-272-2146.
Supposedly STRS insurance is to last approximately 10 more years and I will be 82. However, they said my age and condition would not matter as long as my regular insurance had expired and I met the 63 day deadline to apply. Thought this information might be of value in the future.
Leonard Myers
V.P., Defiance CRTA
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company