Thursday, July 09, 2009

Sending bill to ContactUs?

From June Hughes, July 9, 2009
Subject: Re: Dennis re. STRS's 'Contact us' and ......."Why is this so darn hard for STRS to understand?
Egads, I'll even take the $35,000 salary!!!!!!!!!! I bet there are other retirees who would do the same. Saying 'more have their house paid off' is like the old excuse of men have families to take care of so women don't need to make as much money. DUKE energy just announced a rate increase starting next month. Shall I send the bill to Ecklar? I'm trying very hard to not turn on my A/C unless the temperature is absolutely brutal. *^()*&^)*!!!!!!!!!!!!
June
From Dennis Leone, July 9, 2009
Subject: RE: STRS Ohio COLA
Contactus@strosoh.org is primarily Laura Ecklar. Interesting, isn’t it, to read her saying “the system will be unable to pay members’ earned benefits unless changes are made.” This is NOT what she wrote month after month between September of 2008 and January 2009 when I begged STRS to stop saying “your pensions are secure.” (At the January retreat, I am on tape saying that monthly STRS communications was causing STRS to become “a public relations nightmare.”) I disagree with the rhetoric of how reducing the COLA will have a greater impact on future retirees than current retirees. How silly of me of to disagree……….I guess the STRS position is that a current retiree with a final average salary of $35,000 is impacted LESS (from a cash standpoint) than a new retiree who has a final average salary of $70,000. Sorry, but I’d take the $70K any day over $35K, irrespective of COLA. Why is this so darn hard for STRS to understand? An STRS staff member said to me the other day: “Well, more retirees have their house paid off than active members do.”
Dennis Leone
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company