Wednesday, December 16, 2009

RH Jones: Will our unions fight for retired teachers?

From RH Jones, December 16, 2009
Subject: Will our unions fight for retired teachers? Fw: Ford-Visteon
To all:
Yesterday, I received this email below from a retired auto worker in Illinois that I wish to keep anonymous -- I have edited it somewhat. Although it follows a previous message, both make me wonder: will OEA, in particular, who is affiliated with AFL-CIO, get started on legal action to keep Ohio's retired educators our promised benefits? If not them: will OFT, OEA-R, NEOEA-R,or ORTA perhaps? And, will we be able to count our national NEA/AFT, or the NEA-R? Please notice that the AFL/CIO/UAW are filing "in each retirees individual name, all 16,000"! WOW! Now that's a union!
RHJones, a PUFL member in all my professional teacher unions

December 15, 2009
Subject: Ford-Visteon
Hi All, I received an email from our AFL-CIO and UAW lawyers in Chicago with an update. The lawyers filed an appeal at 9:00am this morning in Federal Court in Illinois, the emails said they where filed in each retirees individual name, all 16,000 retirees. The email went on to say that this paper work alone will buy some time and that all members need to get any scheduled testings or surgeries done as soon as possible and to call Visteon Benefits center the day before for updated information. So I guess I will call my doctor in the morning and get my appointments moved up as soon as they can.
The US Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp. has been notifed by Ford-Visteon and the Federal Court in Connecticut to start the court order within 30 days. My friend (he was our local AFL-CIO president) emailed all the retirees from the Connersville closed plant and told us to be strong and fight with all our power to vote those out of office that helped wipe out our jobs and future... And that are taking away from the seniors. The government, GM, and Delphi did the same thing to their retirees, but it took them 2 years. It only took Ford since June to get this done. Well, I probably won't hear anything else for awhile, but I will let you know what goes on. Thanks.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company