Monday, December 20, 2021

Jan Stewart: A New Generation Malcontent!

From Jan Stewart

December 20, 2021

I retired as a classroom teacher with 31 yrs. from Washington Local in Toledo, OH. As a single
mother, I continued on as a substitute teacher for 11 years while my son attended college, then medical school. 

When the COLA was suspended, I became very motivated to become active in my pension system. It appears I have a very strong passion for INJUSTICE! In the fall of 2018, I visited the Taj Mahal for the very first time while attending my first board meeting. I was so fortunate to meet and dine with Kathie Bracy and John Bos. There really was a time when members could dine in the cafeteria! 
I joined MOF in 2018 as well. I feel so grateful for all of the education I have received from the, "Malcontents" that have come before me. In 2021, I felt honored when I was asked to become the newbie moderator of MOF. It's been an incredible experience to be working so closely with such intelligent, caring, and hard working fellow moderators. 
This fall, my name was shared with Gretchen Morgenson of NBC News. Our interview led to the live stream with Hallie Jackson; both were opportunities to share my, OUR story of living on a fixed income pension in a high inflationary environment. 
One thing I know, I will continue to fight for pension reform. I really do believe that justice will prevail! In Kathie Bracy's words, "We all do what the spirit moves us to do." 

A special thank-you to John Bos who has prompted and mentored me every step of the way. Sir, I still remember the day you called and asked if I knew anyone at the Toledo Blade. Clearly I DID!!!
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company