Friday, February 17, 2023

Suzanne Laird's speech to STRS Board February 16, 2023

Good Morning, Members of MY Board, and Happy Black History Month. 

I draw inspiration from many of the great African-American leaders, such as John Lewis:
"When you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, you have to speak up. Do something! Get in trouble, good trouble, necessary trouble!"
I come before you, once again, as I have for more than 7 years, to speak on behalf of those who cannot attend these meetings. We know you've labeled us "a few malcontents and troublemakers." It's even trickled down to the staff members here:
Last month, I needed to ask a question regarding my dental benefits. When I called and stated my name and membership number, I was suddenly transferred to a supervisor. The supervisor heard my name and told me she needed to do some research and get back to me. I asked her name, hung up, and waited. When she did not return my call that day or the next, I called back.
She told me she had checked with her IT department and her supervisor and found out that "you have been at Board meetings asking questions." I admitted that yes, I had. "Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't help you."
Coincidence?
I will never know the level of discrimination that John Lewis endured, but the fact that I speak at these meetings should never affect how I, or any other member, am treated by our employees.
I proudly bear the title, "troublemaker."
And what's more, I challenge each of you: cause some good trouble.
When you see something that is not right, say, for example, teachers working longer for less and contributing more, speak up.
When you are asked to approve raises and bonuses, but no permanent COLA, do something!
Perhaps, someday, someone will remember you as an STRS Board member worthy of being called inspirational.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company