Friday, June 16, 2023

Denny Jordan to STRS Board: Remember that the decisions made on this side of that wall have hurt numerous people on that side of the wall.

By Denny Jordan

June 15, 2023
Madam Chair, and Board Members.
Thank you for the opportunity to speak.
I am Denny Jordan, retired Science teacher, 20 years, Wooster City Schools. I am also speaking on behalf of my wife Ginger Jordan, retired English and Science teacher, 25 years Triway Local Schools. She could not be here today.
Over my shoulder is The Wall. And beyond that, “Integrity”.
Integrity. Defined as the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles. It is also defined as the state of being whole and undivided.
That wall divides us, and not just physically.
Before me sits a group of people who directly affect my life. But honestly, I don’t sense integrity. The whole and undivided version.
It feels like some here are fighting for us, for our best interests and futures. It sometimes looks like others are looking out for their own interests, or those of STRS employees and staff. Some appear to be here to tip the balance so that the change that is coming can be delayed.
The last few elections show that there is a very strong desire for change. That desire will continue to grow. Nothing I say will prevent you from awarding huge bonuses to staff for doing their jobs, while asking active teachers to pay more and work longer, and retirees to figure out how to fight inflation on their own.
I came today to ask you to always remember that the decisions made on this side of that wall have hurt numerous people on that side of the wall. That can be changed. You can change it. Remember that the money you play in, is the money we pay in.
I want to personally thank those of you who operate with the welfare of the teachers, foremost on your list of priorities.
And I hope in the future, “Integrity” can be found on this side of the wall. (That would make more room for seating.) And that clear glass isn’t what we mean when we say we need transparency.
Reflections. I know you must love this. Lots of money is being spent to convince us how great retirement is. My wife and I realized we are far down the list for our video segment so I’ll give you a short version.
I met a girl in kindergarten. We fell in love and got married. I fell in love almost immediately, but we didn’t get married until much later. There are laws. (Like retirees get an annual 3% COLA used to be a law).
She has always wanted to travel to England. But, we each lost our promised and earned 3% COLA for a decade (that amounts to 6% for 10 years). Our anniversary was Monday, and for the 47th year in a row, I said “sorry not this year. No trip.”. Instead I bought her a half dozen roses (on sale), a pizza, and a handful of dollar scratch off lottery tickets.
However, I am still hopeful. I know I can’t count on you to give us back our COLA.
But we still have a couple of lottery tickets.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company