Saturday, November 19, 2005

Tom Curtis, Steve Buser re: No Tolerance policy

Subject: 11/19/05 Curtis Resp To Buser Resp; Re Col Dispatch; Gifts From Drug Companies

Hello Steve,
I agree with what you have said and I am thankful that you would look at any decision in this manner. My only thought concerning this issue is that if an employee, or board member knows there is a "no tolerance" policy, concerning the acceptance of any kind of a gift from a vendor, one would think there would be little thought they would risk their employment and their good record by accepting such. I cannot fathom that vendors would ever stop offering gifts in order to gain business. What would be there incentive in doing so, loss of business? I don't think that would be enough to make it stop. Putting the employee or board member on notice of immediate termination would seem a far greater incentive. Does this make more sense?
Take care, Tom Curtis
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 5:40 PM Subject: Re: 111805 Curtis Resp To Buser Resp; Re Col Dispatch; Gifts From Drug Companies

Dear Tom:
I did indeed misunderstand your original question. With respect to staff and board members, my reaction is of the same general form but the results might differ in so far as the facts might well differ.
My duty is first and last to serve the best financial interests of members. So my vote on any proposed action or policy would have to meet that test. As a fiduciary, I am required to weigh the pluses and minus before I vote. Hence, as much as I would like to give you a clear yes or no, I will have to wait until I hear all of the pluses and minus.
So what does that mean? As I noted at the outset, my presumption pending additional information, is that members might be less at risk with respect to the potential loss of a board member or a staff member than they would to the loss of a key vendor. If that presumption turns out to be valid in a given case, then I would likely vote in favor of the corresponding sanction.
But just to be clear, if there is a downside for members, I want to know about that downside and weigh it carefully prior to voting.
Steve
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company