Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Lara Baker responds to Paul Boyer re: postponement of Sidaway trial


From: Baker, Lara N.
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Subject: RE: Lara Baker: Sidaway trial


I am forwarding the response that I sent to Mr. Boyer regarding the continuance in this matter.

Mr. Boyer:

I did not receive an e-mail from you yesterday so I apologize if you believe that I failed to respond. As for the continuance of Ms Sidaway's trial, when I obtained the new court date last time it was with the understanding that it was subject to change should there be a conflict. Unfortunately, her attorney did not inform me that there was such a conflict until mid-December, but as I had agreed to move the date should such a conflict exist, I was duty-bound to agree to a change in date. Opposing counsel then obtained the new date in February from Judge Maynard.

As for my prosecution of the Herb Dyer matter, I made an offer on the case based upon the strength of the evidence in that case. The sentencing was left to the sound discretion of the court. While I appreciate the concerns you have over Mr Dyer's exercise of his fiduciary responsibilities vis a vis the STRS funds, my role was to assure that justice was done in regards to the specific ethical violations with which he was charged. In light of the evidence that I had available to me, I feel that his punishment was commiserate with the crime of which he was convicted. I understand if you feel differently, but please also understand that I had to base my decision upon what I could actually prove Mr. Dyer to have done, beyond a reasonable doubt, and not merely what I suspected that he did.

Sincerely,

Lara Baker

Chief Legal Counsel, Criminal Division
Columbus City Attorney's Office


From: Molly Janczyk
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006
To: Baker, Lara N.
Subject: Lara Baker: Sidaway trial


Ms. Baker,

I am in agreement with Mr. Boyer's email below. While I do know the delays are part of a judicial right, it seems frivilous to delay for a vacation. I am sure Hazel MUST have put more urgency on it than that citing family obligation of long standing or something for a prosecutor to delay yet again. I know we all would have the same rights for delays and appeals BUT I also feel without power and politics behind us, the vast majority would have to interrupt vacations and much more to fly to the hearing and back to the vacation. Is she really being treated as simple folks would be. That is not the perception.

Molly Janczyk
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company