Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dave to Tom: continuing a colorful conversation on the Fourth of July

Dave Speas to Tom Cooper
July 4, 2006
Hi Tom,
I did not wish to imply that you were shouting at me but just trying to make it clear that voices are being heard from all sides and taken seriously. Some are more direct and unbending while many are debating the situation. The only point that I was trying to make is that leadership is trying to do what is right for retirees. Even among ourselves I am sure there are feelings that we wish we could go farther. I agree that in the past ORTA did not do all that should have been done which is why when I was not reelected to STRS I ran for positions that could make it possible to be heard and do good things for the very people who got hurt the worst in the stock market down turn. My hope was that my words would explain why the decision was made not to endorse but work hard to get healthcare help for the retirees and not jeopardize what has been worked on for so long by so many.
I appreciate your stance and personally feel strongly about some political positions but felt you and others should understand why we are doing what we are.
Thanks for sharing your positions. It makes me and others think about our opinions and carefully debate our positions. One of the great weaknesses of written debate is that we cannot fully explain our positions if it seems personal and is not meant to do so. I hope you will take my words as they were intended as an explanation and nothing more meant. My respect for everyone who is willing to put themselves out for their beliefs is unending and enjoy the spirited thoughts that are shared.
Thank you for pointing out those things that seemed personal. I assure you they were not directed at you but were general observations. I respect the diversity in CORE and was drawn to it because thoughts and suggestions were freely given and accepted. I hope you will take my words in that spirit.
Dave
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company