Tuesday, July 04, 2006

July 4 conversation: Dave Speas and Tom Cooper

July 4, 2006

David Speas wrote: It is interesting that of those who have been shouting the loudest at us are not even members of our organization and will not be because we do not do what they want. How great it would be if they would join and fight inside for leadership positions and help make the organization stronger.
Hi Dave;
As one who has, and I mean this seriously, the utmost respect for your perspective, and extreme gratitude for all that you have done, and continue to do, for all of us, I really feel I need to address your comment above.
I am certain that you would never intentionally misrepresent what someone has said, because while the tone of what you say, (and it is addressed to me), is that I am "shouting loudly at you.....because you do not do what I want".
If that comment is directed to me, then you completely overlooked what I said. (And, by the way...I don't shout unless I am shouted at....yes, I can be blunt..sorry if that is offensive, but I am not good at playing word games. I say what I feel I can read between the lines, but I don't ask others to that).
More to the point, I didn't leave ORTA because they didn't do what I wanted. I quit ORTA because because they (the leadership) did NOTHING. And not only did they do nothing, they ripped the founders of CORE as malcontents. I am sure you are familiar with the well known quote from Albert Einstein that "the world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing".
I agree that HC is ultimate. I am sure that you agonize over decisions that must be made, that do not solve the problems of those who are desperate.
Most importantly, I am not saying nothing is being done at all, nor am I saying that everything should be done the way I see it.
But please don't tell me your decision (to not support a candidate...ANY canddate...) was based on a few political hacks whining about expressing support for a political candidate who offers more hope and wiser solutions than others.
[Dave]: If we did not get legislative backing or lose by very few votes possibly because of political decisions we made, we would be wrong in every way at this juncture of the work being done that will benefit retirees the most.
This comment is way off from what I was responding to. I NEVER said that anyone in any organization should not do what was in the best interest of their members. In fact, my original response said that is exactly what should be done, rather that be held over a barrel by idle threats. So why do I feel that what I said is now being presented as something I did not say?
Happy INDEPENDENCE Day
Your truly,
Tom Cooper
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company