Friday, July 14, 2006

From Sondra Stratton: VSP Alert

July 14, 2006
Subject: VSP ALERT

This is an alert about your vision insurance if you have taken VSP from STRS. I had an eye exam a couple weeks ago and got glasses. No problem. According to the papers, you can get a second pair for 20% off. Well, that may or may not be true. I didn't want to spend big bucks at the doctor's office getting computer/piano glasses so I went to Wal-Mart where I could get them for about 1/2 the price. They told me that Wal-Mart does not submit insurance forms but that I could get a form and send it in myself and it should be covered.
SO, I chose a pair of glasses I liked but were a little more than I wanted spend thinking the 20% would cover the extra cost. NOT! Just so you know, you must go to a VSP provider or the doctor who examined your eyes. VSP gave me the story that I had to have a prescription which I HAD!!
I told them it STINKS!!!!! If they cover the second pair of glasses at 20% for a provider, they should also have coverage if we choose to send it in ourselves. I just don't get it. We can go to an out of network person for other things and it will be covered perhaps at a lower % % but covered none the less. NOT SO FOR VSP COVERAGE.
SO the moral of the story is if you want the second pair of glasses at 20% get them from your eye doctor IF HE IS A PROVIDER otherwise, you have NO COVERAGE!!!!
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company