Monday, March 12, 2007

March 12 comments by retirees re: 13th check

Molly Janczyk:
Your COLA is the same every year as it is based on the first year of your retirement forever. We would love to see that changed to meet inflation.
13th cks went to everyone until , I believe, 2000. That is why some never got them as they retired after that date. But decreases in HC benefits all just as 13th cks USED to go to all.
If HC goes down we benefit monthly and even at $50 decrease, ($50 x 12 = $600 yearly) it totals more than most got for 13th ck. (the one I rec'd in 1999 was $438 approx.)

---
June Hughes:

Again I ask, would everyone like to lose that 13th check especially at Christmas time or at any time? It not only helped to pay for higher utility bills but bought some extras to celebrate a Holy time of year. We've been shortchanged by losing that, going backward to 2003 for reimbursement of the Medicare costs, the horrendous rise in prescriptions that 2 years ago put me behind then it was lowered and is now at that higher level AGAIN. We who retired earlier are slowly creeping toward the level of all of us losing what we've had especially those of us who lost so much with our private investments which for me amounted to about a 60% loss. I had invested in 5 areas to try to cover myself, it didn't help. I do have enough to bury me. My last COLA increase was almost the exact same amount as the year before which I find strange! So if I lose the 13th check then it's ok to give it to everyone else for health care while I still pay too? Why? I didn't make the larger amounts for my retirement. I started at $4800 a year, which was a higher paid place, George how much did you make the start? June
---
Molly Janczyk:
I am not diminishing the importance to those who did receive it and counted on it for extra money at the end of the year. But, if we can lower HC each month, we can save more than that yearly. Thanks, George.
---
George Doyle:
Molly:
I agree with you. Those of us who never received it in the first place do not miss it! I think the extra money should go to lower healthcare costs for the lower end retirees.
George Doyle, President Allen County Retired Teachers
---
Molly Janczyk:
Leonard's remarks at bottom. I, too, do feel that lowering HC costs each month adds up to more than 13th cks. I know many came to rely on them for a bit of relief. But, to me, relief each month adds up to more than the total of the 13th ck. Just my opinion. While there were not 'bonus' per se, they were additional money and came from a surplus when we were at 30 yrs. funding or below. We now are at a much higher liability and for all retirees , we need get that 'mortgage' of sorts down, so discretionary money can again go to HC to lower all our costs equitably and bring relief monthly.
---
Leonard Myers:
I agree, the money would best be put in the health care fund.
Leonard Myers, VP Defiance County Retired Teachers
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company