Friday, August 24, 2007

Paul Boyer: Letter to STRS Board

From Paul Boyer, August 24, 2007
Subject: Board
Dear STRS Board members:
In September we will be starting a new year with new officers in charge of the meetings. I understand, Jeff, that you will be the chair this year and I hope that you will not make the same mistakes that some previous board chairs have made. You have an awesome responsibility to see that all of the rules are followed and that every board member gets an equal chance to make motions and to discuss others' motions. Be very careful about declaring a board member out of order just because he or she says something that is not to your liking. Your statements in the STRS Ohio Election edition impressed many members who voted for you. We feel sometimes that you have not always followed through on what you promised. I have not heard much from you as a board member so I hope that our decision was justified and that you will do all in your power to see that this is a memorable year.
Mary Ann, you and I have spoken to each other and exchanged emails. I trust that you will accept what I said to Jeff and make it your intention to take your position seriously and consider each and every item before making decisions.
To the rest of the board members, may I say again what I have said a few times before. You, as a board member, have no authority of any kind except when the board is in session. That means that each of you have no authority to work out agreements with Damon or any other staff member when the board is not in meeting. Keep in mind the fact that every board member has equal rights to make motions, debate and vote.
As board members, remember your fiduciary duty. There may be times when your own thoughts clash with what is being discussed and voted on but please remember your solemn fiduciary duties to see that OUR money is used for the most benefit possible to the members and their beneficiaries. Remember that some of our members have been retired for a long time and receive a very small benefit because of the size of their final average salary and the regulations in effect at the time. There is a very great disparity between older retirees and more recent ones. I understand that we have over 100 retirees that are over 100 years of age. I am sure that their benefits are very small and I know that some retirees receive so little that they have to make a decision whether to buy food or medicine. Remember, retirement with our health care is a BUMMER.
My wife and I have been retired for 22 years and we are just able to keep our heads above water because of some sound investments in the past.
I would like to see a more harmonious working of the board members through this year as you steer us through rising costs and sometimes dwindling income.
I wish all of you a very good year and we will be watching and listening.
Paul L. Boyer
Retired since 1985
Life member OEA/OEA-R, NEA, ORTA, CORE
Proud to be named “Core” of CORE by Dr. Dennis Leone

Labels: , , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company