Monday, December 15, 2008

Linda Meinelt to Nehf and Board: Read the guidelines

From Linda Meinelt, December 14, 2008
Subject: Thanksgiving Friday
I am writing in regard to the extra day (Thanksgiving Friday) granted to STRS staff.
I'm sure the staff appreciated Mr. Nehf's magnanimous gesture; however, I cannot see how the use of "retiree contributed money" to fund this day fits the guidelines established for STRS money expenditures.
I would ask that Mr. Nehf and the Board read the guidelines for use of retiree money before taking the liberty of granting this day again.
I feel confident that among the benefits package for STRS employees, vacation/unrestricted personal days are included, and should an employee desire to have a long weekend to spend shopping, visiting relatives or tending to children out of school, he/she could opt to use one of those days.
Sincerely,
Linda Meinelt
Retiree
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company